PS Pump for 273 small block, what will fit?

-

trebor75

Reaction score
I need a power streering pump and brackets that will fit a 273 small block from 1965. Will a ps pump from say a 72 360 fit?

The first picture is the original pump (unfortunatley it did not come with the engine) The second pic is a pump that is from a 360, I found that through an add.

Any experience, this seem to be tricker than i thought, just finding a pump that will fit.

DSC00333.jpg

Saginaw Servopump.jpg

I have a power steering pump froma 66 Dart 6 cyl..I,m not sure if it will bolt up(might need to change brackets)if you have your 273 brackets,I,m sure you can make it work.PM me if interested.

I believe the 72 360 pump has brackets that are designed to work with the aluminum water pump. Check to make sure. The TRW Thompson pump used on 67 and 68 come rebuilt with the pulley on it. The Federal pump which they started using in I believe 69 does not come with a pulley, you have to reuse your old one or find a donor pump to use as a core. From your pictures it looks like there is another pump out there for the early cars. The units I found online are the TRW ones which do not have the same mounting points as your original, but with the right brackets is probably the closest match for your setup without major changes.

are you looking to stay with a stock type pump if not i have found that the prower steering pumps off GM's from the 80's and 90's are very small and can bet tucked away on the lower side of the motor with the stock GM tank or a nice sux. tank the street rod guys are useing them make for a nice clean look

Nope you need an early type and also not only are they made for the cast iron water pump etc, but the mouning is on is diff and the early pump has a better variable speed valve too.

have yours rebuilt.

That is what I did, PS I also installed a stroker 340, so I had to make custom stuff with the aluminum water pump, but get the pump rebuilt, or i think Rock Auto has a rebuilt unit.

I used I think???
Firm Feel Orders 1-800-FIRM426 ( 347-6426 ) | Technical Help 1-360-546-3633, or you can call Flaming River 800-648-8022 ,

or Steer & Gear JIM or Tom
Hours: Monday - Friday 8am to 5m EST Toll Free: 800.253-4327

OK and here is a repost from an early post last year.

They still service the older style federal pumps. you can even get them rebuilt from rockauto.com and use you same brackets. If you do change they make the brackets for it or just get some off a junker.

NAPA: NSP206074
CARDONE: 206129

The pumps were each about $45, but had hefty core charges like $80 or something like that

If you are looking for the pump that has the smaller return line and comes out below the pressure side then the part numbers are as follows:

NAPA: NSP206114
CARDONE: 206114

And if your reservoir is good, the pump is interchangeable and its part number is:

NAPA: 20121

I settled on the smaller diameter return pump because that was the first one that came in and turns out made a cleaner installation because the return hose ends up under the battery tray instead oof pointing up and routing around to the steering box. I used ½ inch return hose and just clamped it real tight on the pump end. Worked out great.

Old style PS Brackets.jpg

pumps mopar (Medium).JPG

Thanks for the help!

Just to make things clearer, I do not have a pump or brackets , the pump in the first picture is the original pump for my 65 273 engine, but the previous owner needed it. So I took a picture of it too have somthing to look at when I try to find another pump that will match.

I do have a federal pump from my old slant six enginge, but I can only find brackets that will make it fit on a small block with aluminum water pump. And from your posts I understand that is not the case with my 65 enginge, right?

So if I understand correctly, pumps from small blocks from 70 and up wont fit my old engine?

Call Eddie Combs (Barracudakid) at (336) 983-5167. I got a Federal Pump from him and he had several different pumps and brackets at the time.

-
Back