Pulled out my antenna cord. Now what?

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Hi All: When I went to remove the antenna lead from its receptacle in the side of the AM radio in my 1974 Duster, the coaxial cable pulled out of the male plug that goes into the radio receptacle. The male end was still in the radio, and I had to extract it. It appears that the male end is crimped onto the coax antenna cable in some fashion. Has anyone ever put a new male end on your antenna cord? Does anyone sell these new? If I had a new male plug, I could repair the existing antenna cable instead of trying to find a new antenna cord. Ideas, anyone? Thanks - BOB

Since the cable is crimped into the antenna too, that means a new antenna. You should be able to install the cable back into the plug and recrimp it if it came out that easily.

Probably just broke the copper center conductor off inside the skinny part of the plug.

You can heat the tip of the plug up with a solder iron and while the solder is still liquid bang it quickly on your workbench and the broken part will probably drop out. You’ll see the skinny end has a hole in it.

Then just roll the shield back, strip a little of the insulation off the center conductor, stick it back up in your plug until you see the center conductor come out the hole in the skinny end of the plug.

Solder the center conductor back to the tip of the plug and you’re good to go. It’s an easy fix!

Edited for clarity

Probably just broke the copper center conductor off inside the skinny part of the plug.

You can heat the tip of the plug up with a solder iron and while the solder is still liquid bang it quickly on your workbench and the broken part will probably drop out. You’ll see the skinny end has a hole in it.

Then just roll the shield back, strip a little of the insulation off the center conductor, stick it back up in your plug until you see the center conductor come out the hole in the skinny end of the plug.

Solder the center conductor back to the tip of the plug and you’re good to go. It’s an easy fix!

Edited for clarity
This^^^ !

If you're familiar with satellite/cable and how you install ends on that cable, it's very similar. I had to do it on our 67 cuda. It's not hard, with the work you've shown here, you can fix it, aaaandddd sleep well. :thumbsup:

I repaired mine. I bought the plugs from a local stereo supply place. You need to strip the outer rubber coating. The centre wire got soldered into the plug end, and then fold back the copper mesh and slide over the outer shell. I crimped it as best I could and then secured it with black electrical tape. It works perfectly.

IMG_20220701_160657816_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220702_144349969_HDR.jpg

Bingo! And I think I even used a coax crimp ring from satellite cable.
I repaired mine. I bought the plugs from a local stereo supply place. You need to strip the outer rubber coating. The centre wire got soldered into the plug end, and then fold back the copper mesh and slide over the outer shell. I crimped it as best I could and then secured it with black electrical tape. It works perfectly.

View attachment 1716312588

View attachment 1716312589

-
Back