pump and pulley question

-

paulh70

Reaction score
I have a 67 barracuda 273 2bbl with a/c. the pump that is installed doesn't line up correctly. I believe it is out of a 69 newport (??). The pump appears to be a TRW. I've been told it should be a federal pump. My question is can i just switch the pulley to a federal or do i need to replace the whole pump.

You could save yourself a whole lot of headache by replacing pump, pulley, and bracket(s). There are/were just too many variations in all of it.
Once upon a time a member here was seeking a pulley and provided most of the dimensions so we both thought the pulley I had was the correct one. After in his hands, turns out the backside of the center hub was a tad too long ( The one characteristic not checked ).
Both of my 67 273s have the oval neck Saginaw pump. Good luck

if i switch to the saginaw pump, pulley, and bracket? is there anything else i need to do? are there different saginaw pumps?

I don't have a pic or number for this pump. It was used on GM, Chry', and others of this vintage. maybe others can chime in here with their examples.
You might need to change the pressure hose since different pumps have different fittings.
Beware any power steering pulley cutting into the lower radiator hose. The correct OEM length hose could be shoved onto the water pump fully to the stop and be fine with any pump/pulley diameter. Some aftermarket hoses are cut short, barely enough hose to get a clamp on. I'm not saying you'll need a belt too, just throwing the possibility out there.

Why do think the pump is wrong? I have a 67 barracuda 273 2bbl with a/c and it has a TRW pump. It also doesn't line up very well. This is not great, but very common -- many threads on this subject. If you go to all the trouble to change to a Saginaw, it may not line up either. On my 64 Sport Fury, I sent the pump in to get it rebuilt. I told them that if they would put the pulley on 3/16" different on the shaft, it would line up better. They wouldn't do it saying they could only rebuild to factory specs. Thanks a lot!

the 68 B-cuda 318 that I had here had some other pump on it, TRW? Federal? I don't know but I can say it didn't line up right either. I can also say that the OEM Saginaw pump lines up perfectly attached to the cast iron water pump. The only downfall to this pump is the OEM cap that Chry' applications had. This cap has measure stick and just 2 little finger bump outs on its rim. Ebay sellers want like 40 bucks for that cap. The concourse restorer might pay that. Any/every Saginaw reservoir cap will fit. Aftermarket is loaded with options like chromed caps too. Not all found in search will have GM logos.

IMO
the Saginaw pump is better at keeping up when the steering gets hectic.
I really wanted the Federal to work cuz of it's internal design but in the end it just couldn't keep up.
Everything lines up perfect on my combo; 71 360 with 70 front cover, Milodon waterpump, and unknown Saginaw A-body brackets. I think there are 3 pieces to the bracketry. I did have trouble finding the right pressure hose, and finally just picked something off the vendors wall. It worked out really nice. I did buy a Snap-On pulley-puller/pusher tho, to put the pulley were I needed it to be.

IIRC
My Saginaw pump was off a slanty. The brackets were all wrong, and the Federal stuff didn't fit either. But I scrounged around in my parts shed and came up with a combo that worked. The slanty pulley was in a different spot on the shaft, and it was smaller than I wanted, for operation at 7200. So some more scrounging found me a useable pulley. I know that's no help to you, except to say that it would seem that the Saginaw is somewhat universal.

-
Back