Purple Hornies

-

Daves67Cuda

Reaction score
I'm thinking of running some Purple Hornies by Flow Tech on my Barracuda when I get the 340 done. Anyone have experience with these babies? Or any other kind of header muffler things? Thanks

God, purple hornies came out in the 70's. They were loud back then, tons of resonance in the car too. These days you can fine quieter muffs that make at least as much HP. You might want to rethink this idea.

don

WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! A buddy had a Boss 302 in a Maverick back in '72 with a set of those on it. I STILL CAN'T HEAR!! It turns the passenger compartment into a torture chamber. WAY to much noise inside the car. Just my .02. WHAT?

Mrmopartech, Im working my way through the exhaust system, taking baby steps, haha jk. I'm kinda going for the open header sounds, but thats why I was asking and would you guys suggest another brand?

I had them on my Duster...

They didn't bolt right up to the headers like they were suppoesd to, I had to have pipes made up and bent to fit below the floor.

I had the Hornies on the car during this run, you can get an idea of how loud they are: http://www.burwoodboysracing.com/Movies/May18-1.wmv

I had a set on my 69 340 Swinger in the early 70's, they didn't last too long --WAY too loud! It was not a sweet sound, just a vibrating roar inside the car.

After watching your video Mikelbeck I'd say you just sold him on the hornies! I'd bet that is exactly what he is looking for ! I think he is a lot younger than us old timers ( I'm 44) and has not gone through the real loud exhaust stage yet ...... It's part of being a young gearhead. My bet is he'll do it , just like we did , then take them off after a summer and go for the mellower sound ! Just my .02 cents. Dave.

Got my balanced 400 back from the shop, can't wait till next summer!
383smedium1lk.jpg

fastback383 said:
After watching your video Mikelbeck I'd say you just sold him on the hornies! I'd bet that is exactly what he is looking for ! I think he is a lot younger than us old timers ( I'm 44) and has not gone through the real loud exhaust stage yet ...... It's part of being a young gearhead. My bet is he'll do it , just like we did , then take them off after a summer and go for the mellower sound ! Just my .02 cents. Dave.

Got my balanced 400 back from the shop, can't wait till next summer!
383smedium1lk.jpg

i am 23 and i have been running heaeders on the street but only on special ocasions like some wednesday and saturday nights and its loud and brutal sounding but i feel a lot more comfortable using my 40series delta flow flowmasters with a full 3" exhaust the sound is badass and i can still hear alot of rumble inside my car;)
try bigger pipes if you want a loud car and some 40series flowmasters will probably get you some of that without getting the purple hornies that will burn out pretty quick:(

-
Back