Push Rod Size

-

MikeG69

Reaction score
First post and question.

I am replacing the valve seals on my '69 318. I noticed the the rods are different diameters. One is .281 and the other is .313. The way they are in place right now there is no consistancy of intake or exhaust. Also one has a ball on each end the other does not. Does any of this matter? I would think it would.

...restatment....small rods are over intake, large rods are over exhaust.......

someone may have replaced the exhaust or intake push rods because they got bent from over reving (slight valve to piston contact) who's to say ?
stock push rods are solid steel with rounded ends, while most replacement push rods are steel tube with welded ball ends

Are all 16 of your rocker arms the same?

Can you pick out what they look like out of this lineup.....hehe

Attachments

• pushrods.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 139
No oiler hole in any of them.

The ball end rods are currently over the exhaust and the others over the intake.

I pulled the other side and there are the non ball type over the exhaust.

Attachments

• 2012-08-11_15-33-00_626.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 153
someone may have replaced the exhaust or intake push rods because they got bent from over reving (slight valve to piston contact) who's to say ?
stock push rods are solid steel with rounded ends, while most replacement push rods are steel tube with welded ball ends

I think skrews has it right. As long as the're straight and there was no noise or unusual wear, you should be alright. I just wanted to make sure someone didn't try to do some mix and match stuff with adjustable rockers and such. I've actually uncovered some crazy stuff before.....lol. I would make sure the're all the same length so that someone hasn't substituted a slightly longer one here and there to quiet a noisy lifter.

Thanks. So far they all look to be the same length. I've rolled them on piece of glass and are straight

-
Back