Pushbutton launch control?

Early A-Body Discussions

1. JoeDartGT

JoeDartGT Active Member

Local Time:
    7:23 PM
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that the pushbutton trans can be used as a sort of "launch control" by loading it up and drive and dumping the brake. I don't remember the specifics, and I'm sure it's horrible on the trans, but is this true? Is this just a figment of my imagination and poor reading comprehension ;-)
    dodge-dart-push-button-transmission.jpg

2. slantsixdan

slantsixdan =..=

Local Time:
    7:23 PM
    You can do as you describe on any automatic, whether it's controlled by buttons or a lever. It will rapidly heat up the trans fluid and yes, it's very hard on the transmission. You can also do a "Neutral drop"—rev up in Neutral, then hit a button. Also very hard on the transmission and the rest of the drivetrain.

(There are lots of things you can do but shouldn't)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • brian6pac

brian6pac Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      10:23 PM
      That's what my mom told me!:(

• Steve 225

Steve 225 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      I love pushbutton transmissions, I had a 1963 new Yorker 413 with a pushbutton trans, the pushbutton controls were on one side of the instrument cluster and the heat/ac control!s were on the other side and they mirrored one another
      I'd take it to the local oil change place, and as you know they have to drive them in and I'd sit inside and watch him first he'd reach for the column, then look at the floor........ By the time I would go out and rescue him he'd just be staring at the buttons trying to figure out what to do
      Loved tire shops too"oh BTW that has left hand lug nuts on one side"
      "It has what?"
      God I love old mopars

• famous bob

famous bob mopar misfit

Local Time:
      9:23 PM
      loading the convertor / All dragracers do that to a certain extent ! some more some less , depending on what their running . Or did I misunderstand what ur saying?

• nckennyb

nckennyb Active Member

Local Time:
      The best thing about those push button trannys is being able to push or pull start the car if necessary. We rebuilt the 225 in my dad's 64 Valiant and couldn't get it to catch using the starter so we hooked another vehicle up to it and my brother pulled it about 20 mph then my dad hit the first gear button and that thing fired right up. He looked over at me and smiled. I learned something that day.

• chryslerfat

chryslerfat Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Any automatic with a rear pump will do that. Very cool thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
      1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.