-

Orionsax7

Reaction score
I am building the following engine:

71 360 short block, zero-decked
KB 107+.03 pistons
Eddy RPM heads and intake
Comp XE 274 cam

I am considering either comp rollers or crane rollers. This car will be mostly street driven with little track time.

Has anyone else used this recipe? If so, what did you use for rockers and what was your pushrod length?

-Alex

ps...do you think I can get a longer duration cam for strictly street with power brakes or is the xe274 a good choice?

Sounds like a nice combo to me. I am going to use the Comp chomolly steel rockers on my stroker. I just think they are more durable for street use compared to the extruded aluminum arms.

I agree with the chromemolly or stainless rockers everyone I know who tries living with aluminum on the street eventually starts breaking them

I priced those at about $400+ Is that right or is there someplace to get them cheaper? Any other makers make stainless or chrome moly?

My question is this,what is going to be your max rpm you wish to hit in shifting and top ending the car out at?This will determin what heads and valves you need and the flow needed,along with runner cc,s.

Well, this will mostly be a street car with 1/4 mile passes about once a month or so just for kicks. Maybe not as often. The rest of my setup includes 727 (TF-2 kit) with 2800 stall converter and 2.76 gears which I will be replacing with either 3.55 or 3.91, haven't fully decided yet. I've never been on the track before but I am thinking about shifting around 5000 or 5500...nothing too wild. As I said, this will be mostly a street car.

Thanks for the info so far, everyone. :thumleft:

-Alex

For sure you will need the 3.91 gears and the convertor.If you intend never to go over 6000 rpm,and this motor can do it with ease if balanced and blueprinted right,the eddy heads would be over kill for it and a big expence,whem a stock head can give you the flow numbers and the runner cc,s you need to do the job at a lot cheaper price.What are the cam specs on that cam,al of them to run some tests on the set up,Mrmopartech

the cam specs are as follows:

Intake Exhaust
Valve Adjustment 0 0
Gross Valve Lift 0.488 0.491
Duration At 0.006 Tappet Lift 274 286
Valve Timing At 0.006
Open Close
Intake 31 63
Exhaust 77 29
These Specs Are For The Cam Installed At 106 Intake CL
Intake Exhaust
Duration At 0.05 230 236
Lobe Lift 0.325 0.327
Lobe Separation 110

If your rpm is going to be under 6000 rpm and the lift is never going to see any thing above .500,the eddy heads are over kill for your set up.Good ,well machined and match and port with great bowl work done to stock heads will be more than what you need.The key is the bowl work and valve size to match your cam and applacation,Mrmopartech

i would need to run some dyno runs on the PC dyno to see if it will help at all.It depends on what type of driving you want and idle you wish?Mrmopartech

It will be driven every day and I'd like a lopey idle. My current engine has a somewhat lopey idle(it was in before I got the engine), I'm guessing around 260 duration and I'd like just a smidge more so I think that 230 at .050 would be good. Nothing too radical but just something to sound good.

-Alex

Mr. Tech is right, you get carried away and you'll lose all your bottom end and driveability.

Hi All
I have used the xe274 on my 360. Personaly for the street, Its a little too radical but thats just me. The xe268 Would be a nicer choice.
Billy D....

-
Back