Q: Short output shaft 727 w/a Gear Vendors into a '67-up A-Body?

-

6-david-5

Mopars under construction
Reaction score
Has anyone done this?

I have this torqflite with a stubby output shaft. It was a Craigslist find. The previous owner did not know where it originated from.

How about you guys??? There is no bolt flange in the back, so it doesn't look like a drum parking brake-equipped motorhome transmission. The shaft in the back looks like a slip yoke to me.

I'm thinking of prepping this with a Gear Vendors OD & using it for my big block '68 Dart. GV thinks this short-tail trans would be perfect for my Dart because they say "its going to end up only a few inches longer than a stock [727] trans." So, as per Gear Vendors, this transmission is the 8" tailhousing version, and would use their 8" tailhousing kit.

Now, has anyone ever used an 8" tail 727 Big Block trans in their '67-up A-Body?? And even more obscurely, with a Gear Vendors??? I am wondering if this would fit/install/work better than a standard length set-up.

I suppose I would have to wait patiently for the 1 person out there who has done this swap with this part combination, & can offer feedback!

David

Has anyone done this?

I have this torqflite with a stubby output shaft. It was a Craigslist find. The previous owner did not know where it originated from.

How about you guys??? There is no bolt flange in the back, so it doesn't look like a drum parking brake-equipped motorhome transmission. The shaft in the back looks like a slip yoke to me.

I'm thinking of prepping this with a Gear Vendors OD & using it for my big block '68 Dart. GV thinks this short-tail trans would be perfect for my Dart because they say "its going to end up only a few inches longer than a stock [727] trans." So, as per Gear Vendors, this transmission is the 8" tailhousing version, and would use their 8" tailhousing kit.

Now, has anyone ever used an 8" tail 727 Big Block trans in their '67-up A-Body?? And even more obscurely, with a Gear Vendors??? I am wondering if this would fit/install/work better than a standard length set-up.

I suppose I would have to wait patiently for the 1 person out there who has done this swap with this part combination, & can offer feedback!

David

The real question is does Gear Vendors make a short shaft trans to GV adapter housing.
Normally you would pull the extension housing off your standard length trans and replace it with GV's adapter housing, then bolt the GV unit to the back of that.

If they make a short shaft adapter housing then great, but you need to find out.
Otherwise you would have to change to a long output shaft, and that requires emptying the entire trans all the way back to the reverse drum.

Not all short shaft had a brake drum, but "I think" most had a bolt up yoke instead of slip. Could be wrong. I'm with Greg^^ the shaft may screw ya. If it's cheap, it's still a good source of parts. Likely has heavy duty planetary sets, etc

The real question is does Gear Vendors make a short shaft trans to GV adapter housing.

This is their 8" tailhousing kit:

Gear Vendors for 8in Tailhousing.JPG

Now, I'm just hoping there is someone out there who can say they have installed this setup into a '67-up A body! If it fits better than the long version, I may be all over this. The Gear Vendors Tech I emailed earlier got back to me in hours & stated that this would be a great idea because "its going to end up only a few inches longer than a stock [727] trans." But, can anyone here attest to this? Would the long version fit/work better? Would this setup fit better?

Thanks to you guys above for chiming in so far!

David

I run a 904 GV setup in my 67 Dart. The trans you have will work with the kit. The trans mount does not change location. You remove the existing tailshaft housing and install the GV tailshaft adapter. The GV coupler then slides on the existing trans output shaft and you bolt on the OD unit. It got tight in the hump area above the OD unit on my car and I didn't want to change the drive angle (tailshaft down) on the motor/trans, so I cut the tunnel up top and made a panel for the top. With you short trans you probably won't have to do that.
I bought my unit used and it works great. The electronics did not work on the used unit so I wired in a simple momentary switch to switch it on and off. I run 4.10 gears and the OD knocks off 200-300 rpm on the interstate @75mph.
Literature attached you can read up on.

gv.jpg

Attachments

• 904 & 727 Operators and Install.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 466
  • Electric03.pdf
    476.9 KB · Views: 1,325
This is their 8" tailhousing kit:

View attachment 1715510414

Now, I'm just hoping there is someone out there who can say they have installed this setup into a '67-up A body! If it fits better than the long version, I may be all over this. The Gear Vendors Tech I emailed earlier got back to me in hours & stated that this would be a great idea because "its going to end up only a few inches longer than a stock [727] trans." But, can anyone here attest to this? Would the long version fit/work better? Would this setup fit better?

Thanks to you guys above for chiming in so far!

David

I did one with a friend on a 71 Swinger awhile back but it was the standard length housing 727.
We HAD to cut his floor and raise it about 2 inches where the OD unit was going to be to get his driveshaft angle back where it needed to be.
With the 8 inch housing it should put the OD unit under the floor right about where a stick would be for a stick shift car. (maybe a little farther back)
I'm betting you will also have to cut the floor for clearance because the tunnel is about the same through that whole area, but your raised section would probably be right where the front of your seat is, and with buckets would be really obvious.
I know a lot of people say it fits without floor mods, but I don't see how that's possible unless it goes in a pickup.

The one I did was a bench car and the clearanced section ended up right under his seat where you can't see it.
Just something to think about.

Just wanted to thank the members above for their valuable commentary--and the info! I do, however, hope there is that one person who has used the 8" tailhousing 727 with their GV swap & is willing to fill us in as well.

Really appreciate how the collective experience comes together here...

-
Back