Question about a rear sway bar for my Duster...

-

mtandrews

beware the Ides of March
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I want to install a rear sway bar on my 72 Duster, but I have relocated the leaf springs (but haven't done the mini yet). Will this affect the mounting of the sway bar because of the U-Bolts being further inside now? I'm trying to think ahead because the relocation affected my Summit dual exhaust kit install...

The Addco sway bar mount under the frame rail kick up. So if your spring relocation is just under the frame rail, that rear sway bar will not work.

But the Helwig rear sway bar mount to the inside of the rear frame. So that probably willl work.

All these sway bar noted above mount to the axle with U-clamps over 6" inward of the leaf spring U-bolt. So you should NOT have interference if you moved the springs inward 3".

The Addco sway bar mount under the frame rail kick up. So if your spring relocation is just under the frame rail, that rear sway bar will not work.

But the Helwig and Hotchkis rear sway bar mount to the inside of the rear frame. So that probably willl work.

All these sway bar noted above mount to the axle with U-clamps over 6" inward of the leaf spring U-bolt. So you should have interference if you moved the springs inward 3".
so given that I might as well forget a rear sway bar. So much for wanting a little icing on my cake :roll:

I've got a rear swar bar on my scamp with relocated spring I used a hell-wig rear sway bar for a e-body work's good .I've got pic's of it at super scamp thread.

so given that I might as well forget a rear sway bar. So much for wanting a little icing on my cake :roll:

sorry I left the word NOT out of my post. If you run a helwig rear sway bar I don't think you will have a problem.

Read here: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=91159&highlight=hellwig

and here: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=124741&highlight=hellwig

375899158.jpg

Autoxcuda, do you think a rear swaybar is needed? Our car, with stock springs (4 leaf) are too stiff, and we were getting oversteer, especially when letting off the gas, so if you started to go too fast around a corner, you couldn't let off the gas or you'd end up spinning out. I took one and a half leaf out of each side, but haven't been to the track yet. This is a 24 hour endurance road course car. Most of this is educated guessing on my part, but many who were behind us said we should take a leaf out of each side.

Autoxcuda, do you think a rear swaybar is needed? Our car, with stock springs (4 leaf) are too stiff, and we were getting oversteer, especially when letting off the gas, so if you started to go too fast around a corner, you couldn't let off the gas or you'd end up spinning out. I took one and a half leaf out of each side, but haven't been to the track yet. This is a 24 hour endurance road course car. Most of this is educated guessing on my part, but many who were behind us said we should take a leaf out of each side.

Or add more front sway bar or spring, more front shock compression, more rear shock rebound.... It's transfering weight from the rear to the front when you let off the gas.

Is this the 4 door C-body LeMons car that Rocket Resto and friends have? That car is pretty gutted and I but has a higher front to rear weight percentage that most street cars.

I think on a road course you don't run as much rear roll couple (spring and sway bar) as in a autocross or street handling. That why I like the Helwig and Hotchkis adjustable rear sway bars.

Cool! thanks X and SS340...

Your welcome any time. here's some pic's.my rear end is cut down to 46 inch. I welded saddle's on to bolt sway bar to .

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 501
  • 017.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 524
  • 022.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 510
  • 024.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 493
  • 028.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 662
Moving the springs in will increase your need for a rear sway bar as you have lost roll stiffness by moving them in. If your springs are mounted like Super Scamp 340 our rear bar will fit OK.

my box sticks out a little more but judging from what I see here I ought to be able to "manipulate" it into place. I'll get some clear pics of my setup and put it up here....

-
Back