Question about cost to rewire a car

-

B3422w5

Reaction score
Want to get my 69 Dart rewired. Current wiring is a mess and cobbled up.
Considering a Ron Francis or Painless type deal
Lights, turnsignals, electric water pump and fan, yada, yada. Its a street strip car.
What would be the going rate to pay somebody to do it, and which kit( cost effective and quality) would you recommend?
Thanks in advance
Wondering if there is anybody in my neck of the woods ( West Mi) who does this stuff.

Ron Francis/Painless 18 circuit for non A/C car , 21 circuit for A/C car . You must upgrade the charging system accordingly . A tech to do this cost about $1100-$1300 . Airplane electricians are good place to look .

Want to get my 69 Dart rewired. Current wiring is a mess and cobbled up.
Considering a Ron Francis or Painless type deal
Lights, turnsignals, electric water pump and fan, yada, yada. Its a street strip car.
What would be the going rate to pay somebody to do it, and which kit( cost effective and quality) would you recommend?
Thanks in advance
Wondering if there is anybody in my neck of the woods ( West Mi) who does this stuff.
I don't know which wiring harness you want to go with but as far as labor I would be shocked that someone would give you a quoted amount. That's just going to be however many hours it takes someone to get it done.
I did my own. Like said above, 18 or 21 wires.
All that strip stuff needs its own switchboard.

I was going to say - a quote from me would be $50/hr 'til it's done plus materials. The kits are not "plug and play" on a race car. Barely on street cars.

I was going to say - a quote from me would be $50/hr 'til it's done plus materials. The kits are not "plug and play" on a race car. Barely on street cars.
I did my own, nothing was plug and play. Most wiring kits are based on chevys to start with. If u get one for a mopar, its gonna cost you !

to do it the right way.. rebuilding alt he light scokets and all i'd say its gonna be atleast $2000

Not cheap. Want to save some money, strip the interior.

Gonna use the Ron Francis XP-777 Mopar express series kit and add relays so that the electric water pump, fan and duel pump are all on relays.
Little over 600 bucks for the kit with the extra relays but suits getting marker lights and other odds and ends on the new system.
Do it once, do it right.
Once i have this done and get my engine bay painted i will have the car exactly how i want it.

Do it yourself most kits all wires marked get one that has extra circuits in it so you can add to it if you want. Power seats power windows seat ejector auto machine guns and oil slick. Or other useful stuff. It is pretty simple to do. After I got a price I figured I could screw it up 3 times and still be ahead. Plus you will not have to figure out what someone else did.

Dont let the idea of wiring intimidate you... wiring is not my favorite job but Ive done several and it's really simple once you get into it.

I use EZ Wire made in Fond du lac, WI. Local to me and excellent quality.

I used the ezwiring kit too for my 67, it is pretty simple since the wires are all marked where they go, it just separating the wires to each loom and finding a good spot for the fuse box.

I also vote for doing it yourself. On the few occasions I have had to pay an automotive electrician it was so expensive. Like $135 an hour, and when it comes to electrical issues they don't quote a nte price. They just call when its done, and when you are done reeling from the price you go down and pay it. I just ordered a 12 fuse universal box for one of our projects. Going to rewire it all myself, well with the help of my technician son.

Rewired mine with EZ Wire and it wasn’t near as bad as I thought it would be. Plus it was cheap compared to other kits and I built all the required relays in which isn’t hard either. Everything needs to be stripped out of the interior but it’s been nice having a peace of mind with updated wiring.

Located a retired electrical engineer and racer from our local track who specializes in wiring cars and plumbing nitrous.
He drove over yesterday to look at my car. Gonna have him do it. Will be somewhere between 12-1500 with him supplying everything.
I have hip replacement surgery upcoming here in the next few weeks and me tackling this type of job wasnt in the cards. I am just too big and tall of a guy to be crawling under a dash, etc. Been jumping through hoops and tests, waiting on the VA to finally clear and schedule me for surgery. Gotten so bad its tough just walking i waited WAY too long. Finally awaiting call to get it done
Take the car over week from Thursday, he said couple or three weeks.
May have to have a buddy load it up and bring it back depending on surgery date.

American Autowire do a great kit specifically for A Body Mopars with everything you need including dash, front, rear and engine bay harnesses, all lighting sockets, relays, pre wired fuse panel, headlight and dimmer switches, full wiring diagrams and instructions. Well worth a look.
1967-75 Mopar A Body Classic Update Kit | American Autowire

A79069CE-3400-4F81-AF56-F17989C3AF72.png

I bought all year one replacement wiring. All correct and no issues whatsoever. Cost was near $1k. But worth it. Heck my door/key buzzer started working after the new wires. Never heard it in the 36yrs I've enjoyed her.

-
Back