Question about reproduction console door?

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
I have been looking at replacing the console top plate pieces on my Dart, but I have a question. The reproduction console doors (like you would buy from Classic Industries) has no hole for latch button/door lock. Has anyone bought one of these reproduction console top sets and how did you resolve this problem without tearing up the new piece? Would appreciate any recommendations.

69 has no latch...70 up does...

So what you're saying is this console I have in my car is not correct for my 69? How does the console door work if there is no latch button?

7021A254-A60B-44F9-A9A7-A56B12C2A03D_zpss7uu1d4u.jpg

yes that is the incorrect console lid...the 69 hinge spring is wound to hold it closed instead of open...

So what you're saying is this console I have in my car is not correct for my 69? How does the console door work if there is no latch button?

The console lid with the push button started in 72. Yours should be plain with no button on a 69. The console hinge is the determining factor on how the door works.

That push button latch assembly has 2 screws in pot metal holding a plate over spring inside. Eventually the pot metal fails, screws release, guts fall into storage compartment ( same thing at glove box door ).
If you can delete that latch with a different door... Good move.

Appreciate the insight. I am looking at replacing the entire console top plate, so now I know what I am looking for. Thanks.

-
Back