Question for coin collectors

-

Racingduster

Certified Welder
Reaction score
After reading the posts in the "what do you collect" thread, I seen that there are a bunch of coin collectors on here.

What I am wondering is what methods do you get you coins? Im mostly into US coins, mainly small cents(flying Eagle, Indian Head, Lincoln) But Im also trying to fill my Morgan,Peace, Kennedy, both new dollar coin, quarters and dime albums(Jefferson nickle book is all complete and real nice).

I have been buying some off of Ebay but it seems that more and more people are starting to get into this and the bids are starting to get stupid high, WAY more then what its worth. For example a month or so ago I seen a 63 Kennedy half dollar go for over $100, and it was completely wore out, and there was one with a buy it now auction ending 1 hour after that one that had a $25 BIN and was a Mint State coin.

Just wondering if some of you guys might know of some other auction sites that im not aware of. Just thought Id ask, you never know what other people use. Not to many coin shops around my place. Seems most of them have closed up and just sell on the internet.

If you guys have any pics of your collections Id love to see them.

Thanks for looking guys!

If anyone collects Canadian cents i have a bunch of 1,5,10,25 cents from the 60's-early 80's that are just sitting around

My Grandpa got a Mercury dime the other day and he didnt realize it and the woman at the gas station refused to take it. She said it wasnt real so he gladly took it back. I have found several $1 in change, I have a few that are fromthe 60-70's that I got in change. Sometimes kids take their grandparents change from their closets. There are alot of coins reintroduced to the market that way. But to answer your question no I have no clue. I will be buying Dinars while I am over here though.

The only eBay coin seller I was ever comfortable with and would continue to deal with is Howard Hauk. It's been years since I bought anything though; he's on my FaceBook friends' list and I'm trying to confirm if he still deals or not. I'll add his contact info / eBay handle if he's still in the hobby.

Meanwhile, I've got a 1 ounce silver bar with the Boston Tea Party very nicely engraved in it if anyone is into commemoratives or has a personal interest in Boston. No reasonable offer will be refused -- I bought it only because I thought it was cool (I'm into Morgans myself).

I have been collecting coins since I was a kid. My uncle got me into it and I just stayed with it up untill about 3 years ago, just got too expensive and I have not had the time to play with them like I used to. I bought and sold them on eBay and went to a lot of coin shows, also had a lot of people tell me that they had old coins and would like me to see if they had anything that was rare. That could not have been a 1963 Kennedy that went for $100.00 because they did not start making Kennedy halves untill 1964, the 1963 halves are Franklins. The oldest coin I have now is a 1802 large cent in very fine shape. Coin collecting is a great hobby but you have to devote a lot of time and money to it.

Attachments

• HPIM1935.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 155
66 Cuda, you are correct. It was a 64 Kennedy. Not a 63. My bad.

Thats some nice looking half dollars you got. I love those Dansco coin albums. Man they really make a collection look impressive to show off.

72scamp, What kinda coins are you talking about? US stuff of world coins? I have some German REICH PFENNIG's There cool to look at but I only pay a couple bucks a piece of the few that I have. What kinda bills?

looks like assorted Military Payment certificates, german coins, french coins, a DanMark Bill, French bills. Actually looks like assorted European coins, bills and military certificates. mid 1940's to 1950. Like half a dozen bills and probably 40 different coins.

That is some real neat stuff. Look how colorfull that stuff is. I like that French bill alot

Yeah its not in great shape. It was in an envelope at my grandmas from my grandpa when he was over. I ended up with it and it pretty much sits in the dresser. Any Idea where I can get the value on this stuff?

Yeah thats why it sits in the drawer. I have no clue where to start. I wonder do coin places charge to look them up?

Yeah thats why it sits in the drawer. I have no clue where to start. I wonder do coin places charge to look them up?

Any of the coin shops that I have even been to are great people to deal with. They enjoy talking to others in the hobby so I'm sure that theyd be happy to help you out. There kinda like us and you know how we LOVE talking about cars, thats how they are on there hobby.

So yesterday I was going through the boxes of old comics that my grandma gave me. She gave me THOUSANDS of comics from 68 and older. I was kinda organizing them so I know what I have. I found an envelope in on of the boxes and this is what I found. Kinda sweet if I do say so myself!

Attachments

• morgans.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 1884 morgan.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 113
Ebay is probably the worst place to buy coins. If you do use ebay, always wait and watch the price at the last minute. Put in what YOU think is a good deal and NEVER raise your bid. That way you NEVER pay inflated prices or get all caught up in a bidding war. The BEST place to find coins is at estate sales.
Coins are investments just like land of stocks.

I have a cigar box of coins from around the globe and some paper money. Nothing rare. If someone is really interested I can list some of them and even take pictures if need be. For instance:

For bills I have one from France, England, Poland, A bunch from canada which are older, disneyland :p, Indonesia, a 5 Pesos Japanese note, etc.

For coins, 1854 french coin, a bunch of 1 dollar US coins from the 70s, a bunch of 1 dollar Canadian Coins from the 80s (not loonies), crapload of english coins, Ireland, mexican, swiss, etc.

I have a 1914D penny that's worth a couple of hundred bucks and some other misc coins that I inherited from my mom. I'll probably never do anything with them. They just sit in a drawer and we get them out every once in a while to look at them.

We have a few coin dealers at our local flea market. Honestly, I dont know of many things that cant be found at the Anderson Jockey Lot. Quite a drive for some but could be worth it.

Guess I'm going to have to get my little collection out and get some pictures ... it's nothing like it used to be (had a robbery when I still lived in SoCal and never got any of it back, including several Gold Eagles I bought when the price was low).

RacingDuster, your grandma collected Peace dollars (the ones across the top row in your first photo) and my personal favorite, Morgan dollars. Are any of yours from the New Orleans Mint? The mint mark would be an O.

I have a nice collection, started when I was young and collected till about 15 years old, haven't bought anything for a long time but still go through all my pocket change. I have several "proof" coins, half cents, large cents, 2 cent, 3 cent silver, even a rare HOBO nickle!! I also have lots of siver dollars including a Mogan CC and a Richard Petty coin. I will see about pics, I love coins, just got sidelined when I got into cars.

I have a nice collection, started when I was young and collected till about 15 years old, haven't bought anything for a long time but still go through all my pocket change. I have several "proof" coins, half cents, large cents, 2 cent, 3 cent silver, even a rare HOBO nickle!! I also have lots of siver dollars including a Mogan CC and a Richard Petty coin. I will see about pics, I love coins, just got sidelined when I got into cars.

Sounds like a nice collection!

-
Back