Question regarding starter in small block

-
K

krabysniper

Hey guys. I know that the /6 uses a shim plate (or whatever it is called) and I have a buddie who claims that his 440 he had in a cuda a few years ago also had some sort of shim plate in place, but every 318 (have had 3) and 400 (have had 2) I have had has never had such a thing. I am putting a 360 into my 73 Dart (got the engine from a guy minus tranny and starter) and I am wondering if there is actually supposed to be some sort of shim plate in place for the starter or not? The engines I have had were all factory original except for one of the 318's.

Kraby
I just got through putting a new 340 in my 69, with a new minie starter, and I did not use shims. The original 318 I removed had no shims under the starter.I have never seen a small block Mopar with shims under the starter. This goes for the ole big starters and the new minnies.
Chebbies have them and sometimes are pain in the rear.

Thanks. That's what I thought but figured I had best make sure before I shoehorned everything in place with the headers and all.

There is no shims on mopar starters..There are dust sheilds, but nothing to set tooth to tooth contact like a GM.

-
Back