Questions about 340hp manifolds...

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey All:

I've got a set of the 340 hp manifolds. I want to run them for a while, but they're in really good shape and I'd like to keep them that way.

Is there any kind of coating to put on them that doesn't really look like coating?

What do people use for gaskets with these? Can I just use the same gaskets I would with headers?

Where do you get the hardware and gaskets for these things?

Thanks for any help

Steve

Hey All:

I've got a set of the 340 hp manifolds. I want to run them for a while, but they're in really good shape and I'd like to keep them that way.

Is there any kind of coating to put on them that doesn't really look like coating?

What do people use for gaskets with these? Can I just use the same gaskets I would with headers?

Where do you get the hardware and gaskets for these things?

Thanks for any help

Steve

Eastwood exhaust hi temp exhaust paint. It looks silvery but it will protect them from rust.

The gaskets are just 340/360 stock exhaust gaskets.

special 68-70 340 bolt and nuts kit for 340 manifolds go get them from www.rtspecialties.net

Like Steve said, Eastwood makes a great high heat paint for manifolds.
I have always had very good luck with it.

Here are some 340 manifolds on my car using Eastwood Factory Grey Paint.
Part # 10395Z aersol can.

faucet pics 829.jpg

I used Calyx coating on my manifolds. Holds up OK unless you wet them. It is water soluable. Easy to reapply, though.
I didn't use any gaskets under my manifolds, and I don't think the factory did either as far as I know.

George

The factory used a gasket/heat shield on the driverside. Not sure if there was a gasket used on the pass side.

Like Steve said, Eastwood makes a great high heat paint for manifolds.
I have always had very good luck with it.

Here are some 340 manifolds on my car using Eastwood Factory Grey Paint.
Part # 10395Z aersol can.

Whoah. Your engine compartment is insane-o clean.

Do the concourse guys give you a hard time because it looks 9000% better than they did when they were new? LOL!

I used Calyx coating on my manifolds. Holds up OK unless you wet them. It is water soluable. Easy to reapply, though.
I didn't use any gaskets under my manifolds, and I don't think the factory did either as far as I know.

George

i believe your right,except for heat shield/gasket on the drivers side.

autoxcuda

Do you need special bolts and nuts kit for the '69 to '70 340 manifolds or will 318 bolts and nuts work as well?

Also, is the heat shield necessary? Looking at the prices for the 340 heat shield, they should be made out of gold.

autoxcuda
Also, is the heat shield necessary? Looking at the prices for the 340 heat shield, they should be made out of gold.

No kidding. $140 for a piece of stamped metal that cost $0.05

autoxcuda

Do you need special bolts and nuts kit for the '69 to '70 340 manifolds or will 318 bolts and nuts work as well?

On the driver side 340 manifolds there are two or three? special deep extended column nuts. About 2-3" deep. I don't think 318 manifolds take those.

Don't need the heat shield. But I think it would help keep the temps down on the plug boots a little. Not a issue with burnt boots without running the shield, just might get a little more life out of them (not $140 worth of life though).

-
Back