Quick Question, I hope

-

coyote42

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I need some help with my thoughts. A year or so ago I rebuilt a 1990 318ci. I had the roller cam reground by "Magnum Mopar", I think it went to Oregon. I measured it when it came back and compared it to the stock measurement before it left. Looks like they took around 55thousandths off with the grind. I am now getting around to THIS project, 70 Duster. My thought is I need to find pushrods that much longer than stock. Am I correct? The heads are uncut 714s that I did some bowl work to and gasket match. I think I may order a pushrod length checker from Summit to make sure.
Thanks in advance, Kyle
May the 4th be with you! Be safe!

Only way to be sure is an adjustable pushrod. Your on to it, order one :)

And just for my 2cents;
IMO, you need only to run enough preload to keep them quiet, plus a few thou for wear compensation over time.
IMO I wouldn't get hung up on a lotta preload.
In 2004, I set mine to a half a turn, which at 28tpi , I think is .018. After 10 years a few of them started to tick ...... I just let 'em.
Here's why; I don't have a whole lot of valve to piston clearance. So if it should happen that my valve springs get tired one day at 7200, and lose control, the lifters can only take up the .018, which precludes the valves from crashing into the pistons,hopefully. Well, wouldn't you know it; I have a 4-speed with no rev limiter, and one day I missed third ( it always seems to be third) and as I was slamming it in there again, I saw the tack needle passing 8000, on it's way back down. Guess what; no damage, and it was business as usual.
Like I said, some valves are ticking now, so .018 was not enough forever. I could re-lash them, just too lazy. Besides, I'm waiting for this stinking cam to die, cuz I really want a different one,lol. Ima thinking all these year are going by and that cam just keeps on going, and going, and going ....... It's an Hughes HE3037AL if you ever wanna get one. Oh wait, it's disco'd now.

Hi Guys,
I need some help with my thoughts. A year or so ago I rebuilt a 1990 318ci. I had the roller cam reground by "Magnum Mopar", I think it went to Oregon. I measured it when it came back and compared it to the stock measurement before it left. Looks like they took around 55thousandths off with the grind. I am now getting around to THIS project, 70 Duster. My thought is I need to find pushrods that much longer than stock. Am I correct? The heads are uncut 714s that I did some bowl work to and gasket match. I think I may order a pushrod length checker from Summit to make sure.
Thanks in advance, Kyle
May the 4th be with you! Be safe!

reach out to Smith Brothers pushrods, they are pricey but will walk you all the way through.

https://www.pushrods.net/

OE Pushrods does good work, fast, and is reasonably priced.... They had our pushrods here in 3 days after ordering them....

Home - OE Push Rods - Manufacturer & Distributor

AJ / FormS
I'm waiting for this stinking cam to die, cuz I really want a different one,lol. Ima thinking all these year are going by and that cam just keeps on going, and going, and going ....... It's an Hughes HE3037AL if you ever wanna get one. Oh wait, it's disco'd now.

I am running that same cam, pulls hard for sure

I am running that same cam, pulls hard for sure
If you put the right springs on that, with good geometry, she'll pull to 7000 thru OOTB Eddies. The tires are still spinning thru two or more gears (m/t) so IDK where the power drop-off actually is. I'll guess the peak is around 5300 in my install, so a good shift point with a M/T might be 5600.
But If you have ever heard a 360 at 7000/7200, screaming thru dual 3" full-length pipes, you know how addicting that sound is. I'm never going back to 5600; forget that,lol.
Congrats on the cam-choice; if nothing else, it certainly is tough. Since the install in 2004, she has probably racked up at least 60,000 to as many as 80,000 miles. And I buy my off-brand oil on sale, adding ZDDP at each change. So yeah, she's tough.
But, I just gotta remark this; That cam sucks gas on the hiway. No matter what I did it was just hard on gas. Especially compared to the cam it replaced that was only one size smaller (HE2430AL; also disco'd now). I finally installed a GVod , and geared it 65=2240. then ; it is what it is.
Did you find the same?

Last edited:
I had mine in a 68 barracuda with 4 spd and 3:91 gears with a set of Hughes stage 3 iron heads. Missed plenty of shifts too lol.

Then it went into my 72 dart with a low geared 904 and 2800 stall with 3:55’s.

Just cruisers but both were quick cars and a were a blast to drive, problem was too much compression and in today’s world I want a more gas friendly engine. So I am working on a 4” stroker 408 with a roller cam as it’s replacement.

Too much Compression!
IDK man,my engine is in the 180s with the aluminum heads and burns 87E10 with full timing. I is no longer interested in strokers.
I installed a Commando box with the 3.09 low gear, to go with my 3.55s. That makes it take off like if it had 4.10s. The 1-2 split is a lil wider, but with 180psi cylinder pressure, I never notice the gap. In fact, I ran it for a while with 3.23s and it was quite nice. That takes off like 3.73s with the 2.66box.. I only switched to 3.55s because I thought she might trap a lil better in the Eighth... and with the GV the cruising rpm was a lil better. That 3037AL cam did not like 65=2030 with 3.23s.. 2240 was better with the 3.55s.
And because I had them.

I loved the 2800 behind my winter-engine; a smoggerteen.It had the perfect streetability kick.

-
Back