Quiet mufflers

-

JLP

Reaction score
What are the best flowing quietest muffler in 2 1/2" or 2 1/4" inlet/outlet? Going on 66 dart with 360 and cast iron exhaust manifolds.

Here's what the heck I would do, is run dual 2.5 off your manifolds into a nice Y to 3" out then into a 3" walker quiet flow, over the axle straight to the bumper. I have my 00 f150 5.4 like this and it sounds smooth and mellow. The second half the system being a single pipe smooths out the exhaust fluctuation.

here you can get a proper flowing Y pipe. You can get a (2) 2.5 in and (1) 3" out.

http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com/servlet/the-459/Aluminized-Steel-Y-dsh-Pipe/Detail

here are some walker Texas ranger mufflers on summit.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...flers/Inlet-Diameter-in/3-000-in/?Ns=Rank|Asc

Just a suggestion to make a smooooothhh and mellow sounding pipe tone.

Oh, I forgot about this option which would simplify what I was describing above..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-21533/

Quiet Walker muffler with (2) 2.5 inlets, (1) 3" outlet. Dang, I am seriously considering putting this on my duster (mild 360 this go-round). Only difference is I am running the exhaust tube under my rear end axle housing since I have seen this successfully done with 0 issue.

This muffler is fairly large..

Oh, . Only difference is I am running the exhaust tube under my rear end axle housing since I have seen this successfully done with 0 issue.

that would be the lowest thing on the car, would be a easy way to make a "quick disconnect" exhaust system if you hit a pot hole in the road or went into a driveway that dips in from the road

I just two nights ago put a set of Walkers on my 67 Vert.. I'll let you know how it sounds this weekend. I haven't got to drive it yet...

Yessir. A person could uncork they pipe fairly quickly if they hit a big rock at speed.
I have seen the under axle exhaust tube work well on a fairly stiff suspension big block car. The tube to axle housing clearance is about 2.5 inches. Just inside the shock mount / U bolts. The tube to ground clearance is 4" exactly. The rear tires are 27 inch tall and tread 255 mm wide. So, on that scenario the left tire would have to drop off in a 4.5" deep 12" wide by 20 " long pot hole to bottom out on the exhaust tube. Also, we dont drive it dukes of hazard style since its in mint cond.
So it sees smoother gravel roads and highways. I never take it into a ditch full of rocks and trees or into san francisco. Both of which are similar driving environments for the chassis.

Attachments

• Pure Soot 001.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,459
Dynomax super turbo Mufflers

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=superturbo

I had Flowmasters 44, I like the sound of these better and you can hear at the end of your trip! Still has a muscle car sound without the bark when you step on it.

I had those on my 67 cuda, still a little louder than I am looking for. Nice sounding muffler though. I am building a sleeper, so as quiet as possible is what I am looking for. There is a sound bite of the 67 cuda I had here http://www.jlpaasch.com/Updates.htm

Here's what the heck I would do, is run dual 2.5 off your manifolds into a nice Y to 3" out then into a 3" walker quiet flow, over the axle straight to the bumper. I have my 00 f150 5.4 like this and it sounds smooth and mellow. The second half the system being a single pipe smooths out the exhaust fluctuation.

here you can get a proper flowing Y pipe. You can get a (2) 2.5 in and (1) 3" out.

http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com/servlet/the-459/Aluminized-Steel-Y-dsh-Pipe/Detail

here are some walker Texas ranger mufflers on summit.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...flers/Inlet-Diameter-in/3-000-in/?Ns=Rank|Asc

Just a suggestion to make a smooooothhh and mellow sounding pipe tone.

I had something similar to this on my pickup. Maybe the route I go, thanks.

These. :)

Attachments

• Copy of elitefinal2DSCN7009.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 1,551
good question, my car has flowmaster 40s which are not quiet mufflers, it was real loud.i cut them apart and welded another 40 series to the original ones.thought it would be alot quieter,it's quieter but not by much.so still looking for quiet mufflers that won't kill performance!some of the aftermarket mufflers we tested slowed the car 5 or 6 tenths!

Here is what walker just emailed me about their dual inlet single outlet muffler design.

I basically asked them to diagram the flow thru the muffler as I was concerned with the routing.

(2) 2.5 inlet, (1) 3" outlet.

Attachments

• 21533 draw.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,461
if you run that 2 into 1 muffler where are you going to cross the one pipe over to the other side? i like the super turbos, but they arent exactly silent. if you really want quiet your best bet would be go to an auto parts store and look through there catalogs for a stock replacement type muffler that will fit. you might be able to fit the larger super turbos which would quiet it down. i wanted to run them on my duster but wasnt sure how they would fit so i just went with the 14" body but there is still more room for a longer muffler. i took it to the power tour kickoff and cruising around i had guys asking what motor i had, a 318? when i told them a 400 they couldnt believe it, said how mellow it sounded. that is just what i wanted. you could also get a set of glasspacks and use them along with the super turbo i did that when i had the slant 2.5" super turbo with a 2.5" glass pack it sounded good. was too loud with just the super turbo. i wanted to do it after the big block swap too but the glasspacks i ordered necked down to like 1.75 so i sent them back and just made regular tailpipes.

How to make a Mopar exhaust a sleeper?
I saw a 12 sec duster go down the track quiet as can be. Desperate to know, I asked the driver after the run what exhaust he had. He did not know b/c he bought the car from a friend. I looked under to see rusted pipes and unknown mufflers. (No power adders)

When I bought my duster it had Flowmasters= too loud
Changed to Magnaflows= no change
Now Dynomax= little change
(Mopar 380 HP crate motor, H pipe, tti headers)

I have cutouts, so maybe stock mufflers might be the last resort for the street. Over the winter, I pulled the interior and put in Eastwood's deadener on the firewall, floor and speaker tray. I hope it makes the drive more comfortable without the ridiculous drone and deafening noise where you can't have a conversation.

How to make a Mopar exhaust a sleeper?
I saw a 12 sec duster go down the track quiet as can be. Desperate to know, I asked the driver after the run what exhaust he had. He did not know b/c he bought the car from a friend. I looked under to see rusted pipes and unknown mufflers. (No power adders)

When I bought my duster it had Flowmasters= too loud
Changed to Magnaflows= no change
Now Dynomax= little change
(Mopar 380 HP crate motor, H pipe, tti headers)

I have cutouts, so maybe stock mufflers might be the last resort for the street. Over the winter, I pulled the interior and put in Eastwood's deadener on the firewall, floor and speaker tray. I hope it makes the drive more comfortable without the ridiculous drone and deafening noise where you can't have a conversation.

Cherry Bomb - Vortex....no drone, real nice part throttle sound and barks at WOT when you want them to. Bought my Duster w/ a 2.5" dual system and these muff's on it, and they are the best I've ever experienced. Best of both worlds...that I've ever delt with anyway. Just my $.02

Voetom,

What are the mufflers you showed in your post?

Check out Accurate Exhaust website. They have a high flow performance muffler that is fairly quiet!

TheToad, these are now made and sold by Waldron's Antique Exhaust. They are updated versions of the 1970 GTO VOE mufflers. I made them fit and work on my 69 340 Cuda and when I say quiet, they are dead quiet. No roar, no resonation, no blap, or ring, or farting. Dead quiet. Quieter than even the 340 with the Noise Reduction Package. However, when open, they are as loud as Flowmasters and their copies.
Tom

My Dart has Dynomax Super Turbos and they sound great. Once your up to speed They quiet down with very little noise. You can listen to the radio with no problems at all. MMG

-
Back