R I P Pete Rose

-
They ban him from baseball for gambling for life. Now the NFL is associated with some gambling entity that they advertise on TV :mad: . I can't help but wonder if MLB has the same thing going on that they are just reluctant to tell.
RIP good sir. Keep those hits coming.

genuflectII.jpg

I remember when that dick with a bow tie announcer(can't remember his name) blindsided Pete in an interview telling him to admit to betting on his team.

Late 70's, I was either 10 or 11 years old. The 700WLW All Stars charity softball team was playing in the little town I lived in. The team would always have one or two members of Cincinnati Reds and a couple of the Bengals on the team.
After the game, my little brother and I went up to Pete Rose and asked him to sign our baseball. Pete just looked at us and told to go away.
Ray Knight was standing there, heard Pete and told us to come over to him. He asked us our names, and was super nice to the both of us. He signed our ball and asked my brother for his. We only had the one nice ball between us. He walked over to his bag, pulled out a ball, gave it to my brother after he signed it.
Two things happened that day, 1. Ray Knight became my all time favorite ball player. 2. learned that Pete Rose was prick.
I'm not happy that he's dead, but I sure as heck don't think he was a nice person at all.

As "funny" as his plate play at the all star game was, I thought it was a dick move too.
Late 70's, I was either 10 or 11 years old. The 700WLW All Stars charity softball team was playing in the little town I lived in. The team would always have one or two members of Cincinnati Reds and a couple of the Bengals on the team.
After the game, my little brother and I went up to Pete Rose and asked him to sign our baseball. Pete just looked at us and told to go away.
Ray Knight was standing there, heard Pete and told us to come over to him. He asked us our names, and was super nice to the both of us. He signed our ball and asked my brother for his. We only had the one nice ball between us. He walked over to his bag, pulled out a ball, gave it to my brother after he signed it.
Two things happened that day, 1. Ray Knight became my all time favorite ball player. 2. learned that Pete Rose was prick.
I'm not happy that he's dead, but I sure as heck don't think he was a nice person at all.

This reminds me of when I was at Sonoma during NASCAR testing and Jeff Rainbow Gordon did the same thing with some young kids as I pass his trailer. Would not sign the stuff. Mind you this was a testing day, maybe like 300 people at the track, most were crew for the other teams. It was like 3 or 4 kids, standing there as he got in his car a left for the day. I saw him a few weeks later in Charlotte during the all star race, and told him he was a douche at Sonoma for not signing the kids stuff..

Now officially the winner of the lifetime "the shaft" award.

RIP, Pete.

-
Back