race car mufflers

-

moparraceman

Reaction score
11 sec 340 dart ,double duty ,street and strip, what muffler should i buy with a nice tone, [i like flow masters but they are a little loud ] with not a lot of exhaust restiction, will be using 21/4 in and out duals suggestions thanks thrush ? magdaflow ? or flow masters part number ?

Dynomax Ultaflo’s are worth a look and listen.

If you like the flowmaster sound, but they are too loud, look at the delta flow 40s, they are the quietest of the two chamber. Or you could go to the fifty series, three chamber.
I also like the hooker aero flows that i have, used them on a nine second car thru the mufflers, and they were less than half the price of the 50series flowmaster i have.
If you want low restriction, and quiet, i would look at dynomax or magnaflow straight thru, but get some long ones , the longer the quieter. The magna flows on my big block car have a 22"case.

i just pulled the Dynomax's that came with the full TTi system on my car and swapped to Magnaflows. here's @JAndrea's vid that had the sound. the Dynomaxs had a weird drone on my car that resonated with freakin' everything, trash cans, my carport, other cars. anything metal, crazy. the Magnaflows are great

I use 3" Magnaflow Race Bullets...however, if you think Flowmasters are too loud, then you would want to pass on these. On the up side, my car will run the same number with or without mufflers...something I could never say back when I ran 2 chamber Flowmasters.

Edit: I think I was mistaken...I believe they are Dynomax Race Bullets. It has been a few year..memory is fading, lol.

Last edited:
Avoid the dynomax that come with the TTI’s I also had the drone from hell and picked up 2/10’s going to Pypes Race pro’s. Not quiet, but much better than the drone!

Avoid the dynomax that come with the TTI’s I also had the drone from hell and picked up 2/10’s going to Pypes Race pro’s. Not quiet, but much better than the drone!
i was wondering if it was just me :lol:

If sound is important to you, not just performance, or volume, I suggest you decide which "sound" you like.
Imho, there are three: flowmaster-chambered mufflers, copied by everybody, turbos and hemi mufflers-triple pass, most restrictive and quietest, and straight-thru glass packed, dynomax,magnaflow, and countless other versions.
Straight thru will make most power and noise, then the chambered, depending on how many chambers, baffles, and size, then the triple pass.
It comes down to the sound YOU like, and how much loud you are willing to put up with to save power.
(The hooker aeros are a chamber muffler 3 1/2 in and out, the magnaflows are 3" in and out, and quiet. Both cars slow down without them)

20200302_121313.jpg

What version would those be? (just for clarification for others)

My TTI system, seem to stern, had a drone when the compression ratio was at 11-1 with Edelbrock heads & 1.5 rockers on top. Switched to Trick Flow heads and a 1.6 rocker arm and the drone is gone.

I didn’t see that coming!

Does anyone still use glasspacks? They were really popular back in my high school days I was always a straight pipe kinda guy I dont think I've ever actually paid for a muffler. Anytime I need exhaust work I just get it straight piped but iv never had a performance engine. Usally low compression 318s aren't all that loud straight piped

The drone with the Dynomaxers on my 11/1 360, seems directly related to cruise rpm. Mine has the TTI system; Full-length 3" mandrel-bent duals with turn-downs ending just past the rear bumper.

In overdrive at 65=2240, there is nothing.
With 4.30s in direct at 55=2940, I had a sortof drone, but it was just loud..
With 3.55s at 55=2430 they were pleasant.
At WOT and going from 4500 to 7000 yeah, they scream, but people say it's a pleasant scream. It's hard to hear them tho when the tires are also screaming,lol.
Around down, they have just enough quiet, when behaving, that no-one even notices me.
Going thru 2800 (4-speed), the pipes have a pleasant tone as the cam wakes up. (230/110@.050)

If you end your pipes under the car it will likely be boomy no matter what muffler you install.

The quietest style of muffs are 3-pass, and generally, the longer and heavier they are, the quieter they will be. Quiet does not mean restrictive. A 3" straight canon out the back will be loud. Two of them will be twice as loud. If you put a megaphone on them, grow up. If you put a rectangular tip on them they will be growly and loud. They will never sound like a 340 in a 71 Demon.
On the street,with a hi-Compression 360, you will never miss any horsepower loss, real or imagined.
Lessee; um, nope; that's all I got.

Does anyone still use glasspacks? They were really popular back in my high school days I was always a straight pipe kinda guy I dont think I've ever actually paid for a muffler. Anytime I need exhaust work I just get it straight piped but iv never had a performance engine. Usally low compression 318s aren't all that loud straight piped

HERE ya go

The drone with the Dynomaxers on my 11/1 360, seems directly related to cruise rpm.
mine was from 900 - 1300 rpm, so any time it was idling, it sucked

Put a big fat cam in a low compression 318 with headers cherry bombs kicked out the side... It's loud! Ask me how I know.... And it gets even louder when you put a stroker in the 318's place...
The title to this thread is race car mufflers and to me if I had a full-blown drag strip race car it wouldn't have mufflers...
Myself personally I think I got as close as I can get to not having mufflers and technically have them....

Put a big fat cam in a low compression 318 with headers cherry bombs kicked out the side... It's loud! Ask me how I know.... And it gets even louder when you put a stroker in the 318's place...
The title to this thread is race car mufflers and to me if I had a full-blown drag strip race car it wouldn't have mufflers...
Myself personally I think I got as close as I can get to not having mufflers and technically have them....
Like I said I've never had anything much over stock before. I had a 318 in my barracuda that was modified it had a 340ish cam 360 heads and silvolite kb pistons it was straight piped wasnt that loud. Maybe our definitions of loud are different haha. The loudest vehicle I ever had was a 2.9 ford ranger it needed a muffler because it was rusty I took and had them cut the muffle off and put a piece of pipe in and it was unbearably loud

Some of the Dynomax Ultra Flows are shown to flow better than an open pipe. That's kinda a no brainer.

-
Back