-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Speier racing engines

This was Speier

Common story I’m hearing more and more. I can’t do it by myself. Im
Blessed that I can still handle race days by myself but getting motivated and getting loaded up for a long race weekend is really getting tough. Check out the rpm of this engine.

We got home late last night. Here is the good, bad, and bottom line..

GOOD:
*Truck worked great pulling the trailer.
*Car went straight as an arrow after all the work we did to lower the engine. Stable on the big end. It was actually fun!

BAD:
*WAY too hot and ugly out there. Everyone was reporting worst ever in 5 years and .20-.25 slower than normal.
*DOT race. ZERO track prep. So I didn't get crazy at the starting line. The entire day was about a license.
*I was fighting a gremlin through low gear. It was popping. But cleaned up in 2nd and 3rd.
*Car was only seeing 8300 through the lights. About 500 short. 5.67 gear, but like I said the starting line wasn't there. 1.46 60" is horrible and can't even tell anything with the track conditions.
*The gremlin caught up. The fuel pump went bad. Stopped working, so we loaded up. I have a fuel delivery issue. I don't think it's happy with the log on the carburetor. Make some calls and get it fixed.

BOTTOM LINE:
*It still ran under the 10.25 index with a 1.46 60', low gear miss, 8300 lights, and fuel issue. Track conditions, and worst weather ever. It has potential.
*I have some decisions to make. So far I haven't been able to find anyone who wants to go. I can't do it by myself. And my dad simply can't in the heat and health concerns. He wants to, just not good on him.
*If I can't find help, I will have a really nice Super Stocker for sale.

He’s giving up.

IMG_4206.jpeg

Too bad, but it is overwhelming to do everything solo if You're still working, at least He'll still be contributing His skills to the sport....

Another update

I have received a few PMs wondering why the help thing is the issue. So sometime 3 years ago my good friend Don Augustine stopped in the shop and we were talking about getting older and one last go at running Divisional’s and a few National’s. After he left it was all I thought about and I knew it had to be Super Stock. I called Don and said let’s do it, are you in. He said 100%! He went with me to Dyno the first engine and found potential trucks and trailers. Stopped in to check progress and was making plans.

The out of nowhere, Don passed in his sleep. It was a complete shock and tragedy. But it also changed things for me. My excited help was gone. From that time forward I had been looking. I knew it was going to be difficult. But I finished the project and now here I am….

That’s a shame. I think he’s in his mid or maybe late 50’s. It’s a ton of work to run a class like that.

At divisionals you get treated ok but at Nationals you are just filler and you are at the mercy of the big show.

Can’t say as I blame him. If you don’t enjoy going to the races and you still go it’s worse than a job you hate.

I just read where Chad says he and his dad had a heart to heart and they aren’t quitting.

That’s good news because the guy put a TON of work into that program. Hopefully he gets some enjoyment with it for all that work.

I just read where Chad says he and his dad had a heart to heart and they aren’t quitting.

That’s good news because the guy put a TON of work into that program. Hopefully he gets some enjoyment with it for all that work.

I posted the exact thing on one of his posts. I told him in 7 days he’d feel differently. Lol

-
Back