Radiator cap

-

DartGT55

Reaction score
Is there any reason to run a radiator cap on the street with high pressure cap like this could water pump be high pressure also the cap is a champion 1.3

2F5445F2-D57C-400F-9331-AC9D613756D0.jpeg

That's almost a 19 pound cap! No there's every reason to run as low a psi cap as you can get away with. It puts much less stress on the cooling system. If you have a radiator capable of actually doing the job, you should be able to run a 13 pound cap. I have one on both of my vehicles.

That's almost a 19 pound cap! No there's every reason to run as low a psi cap as you can get away with. It puts much less stress on the cooling system. If you have a radiator capable of actually doing the job, you should be able to run a 13 pound cap. I have one on both of my vehicles.
I have a champion CC374 radiator but just noticed top hose had a lot of pressure on it next day hose looked like some one suck all the air out of it opened cap very slowly and could hear the suck back it so if I change the cap to 13 lbs t
It should be ok it never ran hot

8E57683C-16A0-4B3E-AAD6-018BFB45DFD7.jpeg

That all depends on whether the radiator can handle shedding heat at that pressure. Make sure to keep an eye out for it to overflow out of the cap. That's a sign the radiator isn't doing the job. It should be able to shed heat at a much lower pressure than the cap it has now.

That all depends on whether the radiator can handle shedding heat at that pressure. Make sure to keep an eye out for it to overflow out of the cap. That's a sign the radiator isn't doing the job. It should be able to shed heat at a much lower pressure than the cap it has now.
Thanks I’ll try a 13 tomorrow

No shroud, but I don't think it will matter. You've got the fan pretty close to the radiator. I'm sure it pulls a good amount of air through.

No shroud, but I don't think it will matter. You've got the fan pretty close to the radiator. I'm sure it pulls a good amount of air through.
From what I’ve seen on the internet that cap was for racing do you know anything esle

CD08BA2C-8FF3-4466-8482-2C623C2025BD.jpeg

I run 7 pounds, cuz my system is rock-solid. some of my hoses are older than ancient.

If your upper hose collapsed cold, Ima guessing your rad cap failed to hold pressure when hot and blew off steam. Then when the coolant cooled, it contracted, produced a low-pressure inside the systen, which allowed atmosphere to crush the weakes link which was the upper hose.
In other words;
Either the cap is no good, or
or is of the wrong design, or
your system has a problem, or
some combination.

Depending on your location and/or elevation, my guess is that ;
1) your cap is faulty, and/or
2) your flex-fan is not doing it's job, and/or
3) the missing shroud is a contributor, and/or
4) your expansion tank is not working correctly, and/or
5) your temp gauge failed to inform you of a stick situation,
6) or some combination

I run 7 pounds, cuz my system is rock-solid. some of my hoses are older than ancient.

If your upper hose collapsed cold, Ima guessing your rad cap failed to hold pressure when hot and blew off steam. Then when the coolant cooled, it contracted, produced a low-pressure inside the systen, which allowed atmosphere to crush the weakes link which was the upper hose.
In other words;
Either the cap is no good, or
or is of the wrong design, or
your system has a problem, or
some combination.

Depending on your location and/or elevation, my guess is that ;
1) your cap is faulty, and/or
2) your flex-fan is not doing it's job, and/or
3) the missing shroud is a contributor, and/or
4) your expansion tank is not working correctly, and/or
5) your temp gauge failed to inform you of a stick situation,
6) or some combination
Temp gauge is good only runs 165 to 180 and have check with other gauge same temp put new cap on this morning runs at same temp has cooled down with no hose collapse so it must have been the cap thanks to everyone that responded

23BE6331-3722-4C90-A132-CDB2DAF202F1.jpeg

I

already done
Well do keep an eye on it if you went to a 13 pound cap. Not all cooling systems will take it. So watch to see if you get any blowback. I kinda doubt you will because it appears you have a good radiator. I'm sure your water pump and hoses will thank you. lol

Well do keep an eye on it if you went to a 13 pound cap. Not all cooling systems will take it. So watch to see if you get any blowback. I kinda doubt you will because it appears you have a good radiator. I'm sure your water pump and hoses will thank you. lol
Time will tell

-
Back