RADIO REPAIR QUESTION

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Not sure if this should be in the electrical section, but here goes.....

I brought an A body non-thumbwheel am/fm radio to the repair shop, and the tech advised that there was no output from the pre-amp? Stated he couldn't repair it without a schematic of the radio. Does this sound right, or should I try another shop?

Thanks

Well it would certainly be a lot easier with a schematic but not impossible.

I found a Motorola radio repair instruction manual on ebay.

If I could find mine and it covered your radio I would photocopy it for you.

But it is somewhere in my house.

Sorry

Thanks Lad, I appreciate it. No worries though, I have one on the way from ebay. Thanks for the heads up, I almost pitched two am/fm radios.

Thanks Lad, I appreciate it. No worries though, I have one on the way from ebay. Thanks for the heads up, I almost pitched two am/fm radios.

I think am/fm radios are worth good money even if non functional.

.Why wouldn't any of the resto radio shops that convert AM to FM and bluetooth be able to reapair the radio?

Dont toss them! Whomever said there worthless.....well :bs_flag::rolleyes:
Theres a couple electrical whizbangs on here that may be able to repair them? Send them a pm.

Maybe Pishta will chime in here, he likes fooling with electronics.

Dana67Dart gave me a heads up and I ordered a schematic. Hopefully the guy at the radio shop can repair it with that. So far.......$220 for the non working radio, $40 to diagnose, and $30 for the schematic. Then, if he can fix it, that'll cost too! When do you stop throwing good money after bad?

Think you paid too much for the radio, but have not looked at what they go for. I probably would have sent it to one of the resto mod places, but that's just me.

Think you paid too much for the radio, but have not looked at what they go for. I probably would have sent it to one of the resto mod places, but that's just me.
I assume you meant too much for a "non-working" radio. This one was supposed to work when I bought it.......Took buddy's word for it, and never checked until now!

I can take a look at your radio. PM your phone number and we can discuss.

Some guys can repair this kind of thing with no schematic. I've never been "very good" at that. Most these radios, to, are pretty simple. It's the mechanical layout that gets silly

Put the radio in as an ornament, buy a Bluetooth amplifier from Amazon and listen to music through your phone. Cost about $40, mount it anywhere, hook it up to your car speakers, control it completely from your phone.

859238A0-9450-4943-9982-87603C49B76F.jpeg

Bet your car doesn't have a USB port either!
Guess you could figure the pwr side out.

Retro Radio Restoration in PA can take your radio and replace the old guts with new stuff. It ain't cheap but if you get your radio repaired, how long until another 50 year old part gives up the ghost? The result from Retro (not to be confused with the folks that sell modern replacement radios) looks and functions just like the original if you are using an original am/fm radio, plus has other features which an old Luddite like you can just ignore. :thumbsup:

Retro Radio Restoration in PA can take your radio and replace the old guts with new stuff. It ain't cheap but if you get your radio repaired, how long until another 50 year old part gives up the ghost? The result from Retro (not to be confused with the folks that sell modern replacement radios) looks and functions just like the original if you are using an original am/fm radio, plus has other features which an old Luddite like you can just ignore. :thumbsup:

They can also repair the radio he has. That is who did mine in the 66 Formula S.

I certainly agree that if repairs exceed $100 or more you should consider the conversion.
Having said that these radios are robust in both mechanical and electrical design. They were designed to out last the life of the car. In many cases new capacitors, a tweak of alignment, and a good cleaning and lube will put these radios back into many years of service.

LOL..........

"It's a popular retort to someone struggling to operate their new smartphone or refusing to buy the latest gizmo: "You're such a Luddite."

There is another word for it - technophobe - but it doesn't convey the same sense of irrational hostility to the modern world"

:icon_fU:
(I've been dying to use this emoji!)

BTW....Not offended :poke:. Thanks for the heads up.:D

-
Back