radio/stereo/amp/new tunes box

-

mprhoodlum

Inmate
Reaction score
Wow - I took my 68 B'cuda dash apart today and removed the old am/fm cassette player radio/stereo. I thought - well, that won't be going back in. I came upstairs and got on eBay looking at new tunes boxes. I just bought an mp3 player recently and love it. So I thought - well, get a unit that I can plug the mp3 player into and I'll be set! Wow - What a selection. Again - It's like taking a sip from a fire hydrant!
Looks like I can get a nice looking unit for around 25-50 bucks. Then I looked at amps. 1000 watts !!?? Oh, well that's only 19 watts x 2 RMS. I thought - Why do these amps have all these knobs? I thought you hid the box somewhere, plugged some wires in and ran some wires to the speakers.
It's been a long time since I bought stereo equipment. I don't need much. I don't want to drive down the road going thump, thump, thump! I just want to hear some Clapton or Allman Brothers or Stones or such.

What is everybody else installing in their Vintage rides other than the original units?

I have secret audio in mine, am/fm sirius, with a 10 disc cd changer. You can also get a plug for an mp3 or ipod. It's all under the seat.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 113
cheap amp sub and speakers from Walmart.
it cost me a total of 200 bucks for everything. now granted I do just plug my phone straight into the amp and throw it in the glove box and disconnected the speaker from the radio but I still have the radio in so at least it looks like I have one. the problem with mine is while it sounds great I can't run it while driving the car because it will blow up the stock alternator. so I would get a high output alternator like 140 amps or so. and this is with a little 400 watt amp, 2 6x9 speakers and a 12 inch sub. I'm assuming you're also redoing the wiring do that.

Amazon has them for about 125 new.
50 watts x 4 output
I have essentially a year older version of this. Running factory speakers in an 05 F 150 (basic speakers).

In other words, with basic speakers operate around 50 watts rms this thing will sound fantastic. The power of a basic system is unbelievable.
If you are trying to run 300 watts speakers you would need an amp.
Others on here know more about speakers than I do for sure, but my impression is that all these 300 watt and high wattage speakers require an input wattage that matches their RMS.

This thing will connect to your phone bluetooth wireless and establish digital connection. I play music on my I-phone and it is powerful and clear out my speakers. Plus this thing comes with a microphone and thin long cable. I talk hands free and people hear me clearly without issue as I drive long distances to work sometimes. Clarity and power is unbelievable for an economical unit. There is a connection for a regular analog input, essentially using a dual male 1/8 " headphone type connector jumper cable (its an input for mp3 or phone) and thumb drive too. Plus nine other features like cd and HD radio.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-P8400BH

edit. This wont fit in your orginal dash holes by any means other than cutting so semi-hidden is the way to go. It has a wireless little remote control too so that helps the hidden deal.

Kenwood head unit, speakers, and 700 watt amp.

Attachments

• 6-22-13 015_1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 87
-
Back