Random Carburetor Question

-

340 RR

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am a big fan of going to estate sales and picking up tools and automotive stuff for cheap. There's one sale I'm looking to go to on Thursday and two of the pictures show these carbs in boxes and on a table. I'm not too good when it comes to seeing a carb and knowing if it's worth going after. Also, these are the only two pictures they provided and I know it'll be tough to be able to tell the specifics on these carbs. Do y'all think these would be worth getting up early for or should I pass on em? Chances are, they'll be cheap. I'm always looking to pick up carbs because their internals can be hard to find. Thanks guys! Sorry for the odd post haha

carbs 2.png

carbs 1.png

Obsolete parts carbs.
Only worth something to a chevy guy, on account of the good parts appear to be already gone..
On the other hand;
that solder cache would be worth taking home, as might be that Pipe wrench.

Most Q-Jets were year and model specific. The number on one of those could be worth its weight in gold to a dude with a 68 427 Stingray. Also they came in 750 and 800 cfm, the latter are pretty hard to find.
Jerry

Obsolete parts carbs.
Only worth something to a chevy guy, on account of the good parts appear to be already gone..
On the other hand;
that solder cache would be worth taking home, as might be that Pipe wrench.
I've never heard of a solder cache. Do you mind telling me where it is in the pictures? Thanks

I believe that the pink tray is full of roll solder and looks like maybe a bar of solder behind the pipe wrench. Mix in some tin, antimony, and silver and make some hard cast projectiles for the reloading machine...

If you look on the driver's side of those carburetors, you'll see a vertical flat about 1.5" long where the secondary bulge is. That will have the identifying numbers. They will be something on the order of "1740XXX" or "7041XXX" or some such. Could be any series of numbers, I just used two very common prefixes.

And the bolt bins...
100% snatch up those bolt bins. i have 8 or 10 of the same ones and they're the cats ***. the trays slide out and have customizable compartments and the units have little indents on the top and feets on the bottom so they nest really well 2 or 3 high and they fit perfectly on an 18" shelf/rack.

like others have said, if the carbs are decoded as "numbers" then they might be worth loot. likely hood is they're some trash *** 70's buick ones or off a mid 80's dodge small block wheeze bag.

Yeah definitely get those bolt bins. Have you priced those lately?

Those QJ’s are worth money if you know what you are doing with them.
Yeah that's the thing, I wouldn't know what I'm doing with them. I want to learn though. I'm becoming familiar with thermoquads by practicing a rebuild on one and I have a good book walking me through it. I would do the same with the QJ's just to learn.

Here's a better picture of the bolt bins for those telling me to get them. I'll do my best to get there early and pick em up. Thanks!

bolt organizer.png

-
Back