Rarity (and desirability) of a slant six/ factory 4 speed?

-
It's worth more than a auto slant six car. Honestly everyone has a v8 four speed not much with a original slant six 4 speed option. I think it's a rare find. I have not seen a 4 speed early abody barracuda for sale in like 10 years. And that one I did see was rusted the hell out! Nice find!

Before I left home to go get that car, I would already have a V8 on the cherry-picker.
To me, slantys are like flip-flops; I hate the sound of them, the feel of them, hate seeing my wife in them,and can't run worth spit with them.
Yes I have had my share of them, hopped-up ones too. Been there, not going back ever.
But solid Early-As are getting tough to find, so grab it while you can. And do with it whatever you want.

By limited potential, I mean you'll never get a decent exhaust header on it unless you chop the car up.

That was true in the 70's, I bought some Kustom Headers for my 64 Barracuda. Cut for the passenger side, looked at tire clearance, and never cut the drivers side. Sold the headers and ran stock manifolds. Today you can get TTI's. They will even mod them for small exhaust ports on 318/273 and MAGNUM heads.

The 6 cylinder cars and the (273-2 and 318 cars for some models) are great donor cars for big engines, race cars, and clone cars. Nothing wrong with any of them as they were. It just makes sense to start your late model Hemi build with less valuable slant or small block car.

I have a 645 slant/auto From what I can tell they only made 1800 or so slant cars and a ton of 273 cars. I personally would think pretty rare. I would save it as is. By any chance it is a Hurst 4 speed?

Last edited:
I have a 645 slant/auto From what I can tell they only made 1800 or so slant cars and a ton of 273 cars. I personally would think pretty rare. I would save it as is.
A lot of times the v8 cars got used up and are in bad shape or gone. Often the /6 cars stayed in Grandma's garage and not driven a lot.

1964 Plymouth Barracuda 225 6 4-on-the-Floor Hurst (man. 4) specs

For the table with this car full photo gallery and complete technical specifications (including final drive and gear ratios, powertrain description, inside and outside dimensions etc.), full performance and economy data, or to compare up to 5 cars side-by-side - click one of the the buttons below:

The awe-inducing wonder of the rowboat transmission is inversely proportional to the age of the vehicle.

I like original/restored cars. They are like a piece of history. Want a v8? Flip for a profit and find a hot rod and maybe someone else would enjoy it the way it was made

Mine I am brining back to stock as much as I can. Not many slant pushbuttons out there. That's just me on this car, if it had high mileage it would get a SB.

Great fuel economy and folks at the car shows will ogle the oddness of the slant.

That said... "rare" means nobody wanted them when they were new, either!

I was actually surprised when TMM sent me production numbers, one of the reasons I am saving it. Now a 170 has to be really hard to find. Hey @Alaskan_TA You prob have all the answers at your fingertips.

I have a low mileage 64 Fury2dr Ht with the 225 push button. There are a lot of comments from people like “ I’d drop a 440 in there.” Rare? No but not very common to see

I have a low mileage 64 Fury2dr Ht with the 225 push button. There are a lot of comments from people like “ I’d drop a 440 in there.” Rare? No but not very common to see
I would love to have one.

2006pics979_zpsf24bb95d (1).jpg

2006pics980_zps737236a1.jpg

"That said... "rare" means nobody wanted them when they were new, either!"

True, but sometimes things are not popular when new later become very sought after. That's because hindsight can be 20/20, or because the world changes. An option seen as frivolous in 1955 or 1964 might later be recognized as 'awesome'. Not many people bought EFI Chrysler 300's in 1958, and the ones that did had them break down....but if anyone had one today it would be highly collectible. Probably one of the cool aspects of a Slant/4sp is that someone had to go out of their way back then to order the car as such....and of course it's one more gear.

says the person who's taking his slant six out of his car and putting in a 400?...:rolleyes:..

You must have missed where I am still building a long rod slant. Engines can be swapped pretty easily.

You must have missed where I am still building a long rod slant. Engines can be swapped pretty easily.
Missed it... I've swapped engines in and out of my car as well and if you recall I put the pink 318 with a very nice automatic in it for my wife. She never really was interested so it came back out. What sealed the deal was a Mustang going by me at the track that should have never touched me LOL... once you get used to that 400 you'll maybe put that slant 6 back in for a little bit and it'll come right back out for the 400 guaranteed...
There's no question this is a what is it worth thread! Just a sneaky way of going about it that's all... Like this conversation wasn't going to turn quickly....

Missed it... I've swapped engines in and out of my car as well and if you recall I put the pink 318 with a very nice automatic in it for my wife. She never really was interested so it came back out. What sealed the deal was a Mustang going by me at the track that should have never touched me LOL... once you get used to that 400 you'll maybe put that slant 6 back in for a little bit and it'll come right back out for the 400 guaranteed...
There's no question this is a what is it worth thread! Just a sneaky way of going about it that's all... Like this conversation wasn't going to turn quickly....

Oh I agree. If the 400 comes out as good as I think it will, I'll probably not pull it back out. But who knows?

1992...I had a white '68 Valiant 100. 170, 3 on the tree. I converted it to an OD 4 speed. Had an 8-3/4" rear end, I tried 2.76. 2.94, 3.23's. I don't remember which gears were best for MPG but I could get 29MPG reliably (highway) and at times crack 30MPG. That was checking MPG using the fill-up-the-tank method, not the onboard computer.

There are 2 cast # slant 4 speed bells early A body not OD trans. Rare enough and not cheap. Sold one other day for $300 and that was fair OMHO.

Rare? I have a 62 2 door post Lancer, wife claims it so could not sell IF anyone wanted it. Rare dies not equal $$$$$$$ LOL

-
Back