Rattle Can / Spray Bomb fun...

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So, I finally got the engine bay and inner fender wells painted. 2k Epoxy / 2k Hemi Orange
Started stripping (the paint)
in July and JUST last night got it sealed and painted. Not perfect...not pro...not a show car, but done..!
I've never driven this project and after 3 1/2 years, this was a big step towards that goal. Now I can get the new suspension and engine installed and hopefully taste all four, pistol grip grinding gears behind a 318 engine that I have no idea what's inside, except that I can see it's .040 over with a borescope.
Oh, and sitting on the brand new upholstery will be a tremendous bonus.. !
I'm 56 and feel like a teenager..lol
20241018_191950.jpg
20241019_205629.jpg
20241018_191912.jpg
20241019_214421.jpg
20241020_094801.jpg
20241020_001404.jpg
Screenshot_20240628_102837_Photos~2.jpg
Screenshot_20240628_103413_Photos~2.jpg
20241010_220043.jpg

Last edited:
If you have seen any unrestored low mileage cars, your engine bay paint probably look as good or better than an original factory paint job - they all have runs and missed spots under the hood...

If you have seen any unrestored low mileage cars, your engine bay paint probably look as good or better than an original factory paint job - they all have runs and missed spots under the hood...
All my imperfections are definitely purposely done...to be as close to factory look as possible... :rofl:

Looks great from where I'm sitting! Congrats on making some big progress -- it really does feel great to clear the log jam and gives much needed motivation. At least for me it does.

I know the feeling. One tip...if you go with a rattle can clear coat I highly recommend Spray Max clear glamor. It's not cheap about $20 a can but is a really good product. I used about 6 cans on the whole0 car. It turned out great only issue was that there was a lot of texture that had to be wet sanded and buffed. This left the clear a little too thin. After a couple years of washing and sunlight it started to peel. I think had I gotten a thicker layer on it would have been fine.
1000001461.jpg

This is after the roof and hood started to peel. The side still has the clear with no issues. Note the ¹reflection of the white stripe along the bottom. It really shines up nice. It really makes the color pop out at you. Gives it depth. The pictures in my profile are right after I sprayed the clear on. Make sure you let the color dry for a few days before you spray the clear. I just used rustoleum because it was a very close match. It looks good on its own but will fade in a couple years. The clear will protect it from that and give you a showroom shine after you buff and polish. It's work but the results are worth it....

I know the feeling. One tip...if you go with a rattle can clear coat I highly recommend Spray Max clear glamor. It's not cheap about $20 a can but is a really good product. I used about 6 cans on the whole0 car. It turned out great only issue was that there was a lot of texture that had to be wet sanded and buffed. This left the clear a little too thin. After a couple years of washing and sunlight it started to peel. I think had I gotten a thicker layer on it would have been fine.View attachment 1716318019

This is after the roof and hood started to peel. The side still has the clear with no issues. Note the ¹reflection of the white stripe along the bottom. It really shines up nice. It really makes the color pop out at you. Gives it depth. The pictures in my profile are right after I sprayed the clear on. Make sure you let the color dry for a few days before you spray the clear. I just used rustoleum because it was a very close match. It looks good on its own but will fade in a couple years. The clear will protect it from that and give you a showroom shine after you buff and polish. It's work but the results are worth it....
Well I guess I haven't updated my photos yet. Well you'll see what I starred with anyway...

DSC01794.JPG

2K rattle can paint with hardener interior canister from 66 auto color. Pics don't do justice to the great metallic in the paint - fender top is base coat clear coat from the body shop.

Nice..! Love that color..
I agree, pix just don't do it justice..but with mine, the pix also doesn't show a "few" imperfections..

-
Back