rear deck lid rattle?

-

ltrripp11

Reaction score
gentleman

anyone experience panel rattle on the decklid of there duster/demon a-bodys? when you bang on the lid gently or close the trunk it sounds loose inside as if the inner and outer panels are ratteling together? is some bonding dried out or something? any remedies? sounds awfull...

Is the latch hook loose on the bracket. Those are swaged on, and sometimes get loose and rattle on the flat plate. Also try lubing the latch and hook.

I get squeeking one of my cars from old trunk weatherstrip.

yeh its not the latch. its the panels actualy vibrating together. im gonna look into some expandable foam. thanks though...

yeh its not the latch. its the panels actualy vibrating together. im gonna look into some expandable foam. thanks though...

Go to an auto body paint supply place. They sell glue specifically made just for what you are talking about. It's called like panel bonding adhesive or seam sealer. Maybe a body guy here could give you the name of it. But a paint supply place will be able to point you to the right product.

Not even close to the expandable foam you buy from Home Depot..

Watch through this and it may help....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXrGJ_D4CWg"]YouTube - 3M Panel Bonding Adhesive[/ame]

update..

ok after brainstorming found a cheap and pretty painless fix for this rattle. hopefully it may help others...

-removed rear wing from decklid to have access to mounting holes. not much room but enough to get a good view in there with a flashlight on both sides.

-used very long flat bladed screw driver to slide in there and had just enough room to slide it between the panels and create a gap.

-purchased a can of 3M rubberrized undercoating from local auto body supplier and heated it up with a hair drier for maximum flow.

-sprayed coating in left and right access holes and let it run down between the panels with trunk up. i layed it on very thick and let it run down in there good. let it cool down and set up a bit and then layed trunk flat. looked in and all appeared coated.

-next day i tapped it lightly and open and shut it several times. ALL WAS QUIET...
i replaced the wing and was good to go. dont know why i put up with it so long but it was actually a pretty simple fix after all. thought about using the foam but was nervous about the expansion threat on the panel. glad i didn't. hope this helps and thanks for input.

-
Back