rear gear ratio for 73 duster

-

fgrossi

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I bought a 1973 duster 340 and would like to know what the gear ratio in the axle is,i believe it is stock but how can i tell?

Thanks
Frank

There are two precise ways:
  1. Look for a stamped copper tag on one of the rear axle center section bolts. The gear ratio :)1) is stamped on the tag.
  2. Look at line 2, block D on the build sheet and cross reference to one of the Govier books.
A less precise method follows.
Things You'll Need:

Jack
Jack stands
White chalk or white shoe polish

Step 1
Lift and support the vehicle with the jack and jack stands. Position the stands on the rear axle so that they can support the weight of the vehicle. Every year people are injured or killed by skipping this important safety step. Please be careful.

Step 2
Make a mark on the ground below the tire, and then a mark on the tire in line with the mark on the ground. Tire chalk or white shoe polish are the best materials to use for this.

Step 3
Mark the driveshaft and differential, from underneath the vehicle, with the white tire chalk. Be sure not to move the wheel as you do this, or your measurement will be inaccurate.

Step 4
Slowly turn the wheel while counting the number of times the drive shaft turns. the final gear ratio is the number of times the drive shaft turns per revolution of the wheel. For example: One turn of the wheel and three and a half turns of the drive shaft equals a 3.50-to-1 ratio.

my 8 1/4 came with 3.21 ....

it now has a 8 3/4.

-
Back