Rear speaker placement

-

supertruck

Unretired Old Fart stock car racer
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Since my Dart Sport restoration has the fold down rear seat, I don't want to use the package tray for rear speakers. Have any members here used the rear side panels to mount a speaker? If so, any tips or photos to get a good install? Thanks!

I mounted speakers in a Duster behind the front seats in those side panels. They make those aftermarket kick panels with built in speakers too.

I've seen the kick panels but already have the dual speaker dash plate that one of the members on here sells, that's why I want to use the rear panels. Was the install in the rear panels pretty straight forward? Any reinforcement of the panel, etc?

Yes, just take the panels off and look at the metal behind them. I used a jig saw. Plan it out, so they look like they belong there.

So you mounted them to the metal? That's what I planned after looking at it with the panels removed. Did you insulate behind them to minimize echo or boominess?

So you mounted them to the metal? That's what I planned after looking at it with the panels removed. Did you insulate behind them to minimize echo or boominess?

Keep in mind that speakers in those panels are going to need an umbrella.
I like to contact cement a piece of heavy plastic sheet like used behind door panels around the top and sides leaving the bottom open.
That way the speaker can breath when it moves but they don't get wet.

Keep in mind that speakers in those panels are going to need an umbrella.
I like to contact cement a piece of heavy plastic sheet like used behind door panels around the top and sides leaving the bottom open.
That way the speaker can breath when it moves but they don't get wet.
Thanks Trailbeast, I'd forgotten about that.

Yes to the metal-A little insulation is good, like what's underneath the rear speaker deck only a little thinner

Long ago... (read, no pictures lol!)

I used my Dusters fold down divider for speakers. A simple set of 6 X 9 Pioneers was really good with an amp pushing them.

Later, I added a sub woofer for pounding bass.

-
Back