Rearview mirror swapout?

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Today is the day for a new headliner install, or at least that is the plan.
Car: '72 Duster, with new ABS covered headliner.
Mirror plan: The Duster mirror is in pretty poor shape. My '89 Gran Fury parts car has a nice larger mirror that is glued to the windshield. I plan to use the Fury's mirror.
My question: Will I need to fab up a bracket to replace the Dusters mirror base to help hold the headliner up? My initial thought is that the back edge of the headliner is only held up by the window gasket, so the front should likewise be OK with just the visors and windshield gasket holding it up.
One problem with that is that the ABS seems to want to oilcan along the front edge - it has a bulge that if I push it down, it pops up in a different spot, push that down and it bulges back up over there, etc.

Anyone done this change; might even call it an upgrade since the Fury's mirror is larger...
Thanks,
C

If I were you, I'd make life easier rather than harder for myself: remove the windshield mounting plate from the Gran Fury's windshield (put an appropriately-sized open-end wrench on it and twist; it'll come right off), clean the Duster's windshield and the mount plate, use a drop of the appropriate rearview mirror mount plate glue to install the plate on the Duster windshield, and install the '89 mirror on it. You can remove the '72 bracket and remove the mirror mount arm from it, then reinstall the '72 bracket so your visors will still clip in (or you could just swap in some '73+ non-clip visors).

Install is done!
Dan, thanks for your reply. I know that I knew what I was asking, but I guess I wasn't as clear as I could have been...
My question was whether I needed the '72 mirror base to help hold the headliner up. At this point I have not installed it, and the headliner is fine. I think when the windshield gasket is put in it will be "just right". My '72 sun visors do not have the outer clip.
Thanks also for telling me how to remove the Fury's mirror base. While I have glued on several, I have never removed one.
C

Ah! No, I don't think you need the '72 mirror bracket to hold up the headliner, but I am not 100% certain on that.

-
Back