Rebuilt 727 feels tight?

-

EvilScamp

Reaction score
I recently rebuilt the 727 in my Duster after blowing the seal out of the front clutch pack, while i had it apart i put in all new seals and a bolt in sprag.
Also put in a Transgo 2 shift kit, i followed the directions exactly. Trans is back in fluid is fool (checked it 3 times) it goes into reverse fine but when i put it in drive or even 1st or 2nd it feels tight, the best way i can describe it is if you have one foot on the gas and one on the brake at the same time.
I thought maybe it was the shifter cable adjustment was off and it wasn't going into gear all the way but it's working correctly.
It seems like it trying to go but it's screaming and will barely move.

Any ideas what it could be? I'm not sure if it's something in the valve body or the trans itself.

Front band adjusted too tight or a valve body problem would be my guess. How did you adjust the bands? Did you check all clearances when you rebuilt it?

I had a 904 do that once. Took it apart and the low/reverse band was applied TIGHT. I don't know how either because I had it adjusted right. It also burnt up reverse before I took it out, because it had reverse applied.

Sorry it took me so long to get back on here been kinda disgusted with this trans. problem, decided to walk away from it for a while.
Anyhow i'm gonna pull it back out tomorrow, i pulled the pan down and found a lot of fiber material in the pan and filter i can only assume it's clutch material.
I had taken out the waive ring in favor of a snap ring, my question is if i used to thin of a snap ring could this account for the issue i'm having with it? I'm wondering this because finding the clutch material i'm wondering if it's actually slipping tearing up the clutches and not a tight condition like i originally thought.

No. Using a thinner flat snap ring shouldn't be the problem. Using a thinner ring allows more clearance which would make it slip, not bind up as you described. Clutch type material is also the same material used on the bands. I asked earlier how you adjusted the bands, particularly the rear band. The rear band is adjustable and the rear servo is serviceable without removing the trans.

-Re-read post#6. Rear band is adjustable with just pan removal.Check this first.
-I suppose its also possible for the slip rings to have been damaged during the pump install, but this would easily have been caught with the air-test
-Or, one of the clutch packs was not fully engaged on the drive splines of the corresponding part. This usually manifests itself during the pump install. It doesnt drop down properly when pre-installed without the big o-ring on.Or if not pre-installing,as a difficult draw-down of the pump bolts.If this has happened,there will also be metal in the oil. The metal can usually be seen best, swimming in the oil, when you stir it up.
-Some bands make just dust.Some clutches throw fibers in addition to dust

Sounds just like rear band is over tighten . does it go ok in 1st gear then fall rite on its face as soon as 2nd hits? If so im positve low/rev band is stuck on for some reason.

-
Back