Rebuilt 904 w/ tf2 shifting woes...

-
I think you gentlemen were correct! My band seemed to be adjusted a little to lose, closer to 3 turns backed off.

Ran the adjusting screw all the way in, finger snug, then backed it out 1 3/4 turns. Took it for a little drive and it didn't flare up like it was. It was however downshifting part throttle and I'd have to let off the gas to get it to shift, but the shifts were quick. I'm going to set it at 2 turns out then re-adjust the kd linkage then see how it does. I tried setting it when I got home but I kept burning the **** out of my arm and hands lol. So now I'm waiting at In-N-Out since thats what the wife and kiddos wanted for dinner.

If it doesn't do an opposite flare, or you don't feel the car drag down when it shifts 2-3 then stick with 1.75 turns. 2 may work, but it also may flare again.

The kd cable is probably what's causing the part throttle kickdown. If you loosen it slightly, it should quit doing that, or at least shift a little sooner at part throttle and take more throttle to kickdown.

I'd leave the kd cable as is for now and do some WOT runs from a stop or down an on ramp and see how it goes 1-2 just to see what a wot shift feels like. Then adjust for real driving.

Alrighty... put it at 2 before I read the last reply... just did some very light driving in the neighborhood because I had company for the drive and she wasn't in the car seat.

So at 2 turns backed off, kd properly adjusted the shifts are nice and crisp. Again very light driving maybe 2k rpms,1-2nd shift was about 16 mph (but nice and crisp; 2nd-3rd was around 25mph but... nice and crisp.

My co-pilot was apparently having to much fun... she loves going in the garage with daddy, playing with tools and going for drives in the purple car... Just like her brother and sister.

20201016_184013.jpg

Alrighty... put it at 2 before I read the last reply... just did some very light driving in the neighborhood because I had company for the drive and she wasn't in the car seat.

So at 2 turns backed off, kd properly adjusted the shifts are nice and crisp. Again very light driving maybe 2k rpms,1-2nd shift was about 16 mph (but nice and crisp; 2nd-3rd was around 25mph but... nice and crisp.

My co-pilot was apparently having to much fun... she loves going in the garage with daddy, playing with tools and going for drives in the purple car... Just like her brother and sister.

View attachment 1715614279

Awesome! If it works, it works! I don't know how you resist WOT testing (when there's no passengers, that is) LOL

I'll do some WOT test drives tomorrow and afjust the kd accordingly but I am 100% happy with the way it feels now. It feels like there is a new transmission with a shift kit in it (because there is).

To all you gentlemen who have put up its my crazy questions, my bad explanations, and 150 replies; thank you, I appreciate it tremendously... also don't worry, I'm sure I'll have another head scratcher problem/question soon... :poke::lol:

Awesome! If it works, it works! I don't know how you resist WOT testing (when there's no passengers, that is) LOL

When there aren't passengers I try WOT. When my big kids are in the car I hammer on it a little, but they are in carseats not my lap.

Looks like Rusty called this one a week ago in post #12. He asked you if you double checked the band adjustment...

Well technically we did check them but they were closer to stock adjustment not adjusted for the tf2.

I took the car our again this morning to go get cinnamon rolls, much more crisp shifts. My daughter kept yelling at me to stop going fast... the car is loud so even at 40mph if you hit the throttle it jumps a bit and she thinks we are going super fast lol.

Just did some WOT pulls. 2nd -3rd has a touch of a flare up at wot, but nothing near as bad. Should I adjust/tighten the band a touch more?

Your transmission has to disengage 2nd at the same time its engaging 3rd.

A flare is caused by the timing of that shift being off. Band adjustment has an effect on this timing (so does pressure, to an extent). You don't want any flare on the shift. It's basically like slipping the clutch for way too long in a manual trans and will cause excessive wear.

Pressure will make it shift faster and firmer, which is good. Less chance for slip, and thus less wear.

Sunday update :D

Went to 1 turn out on the band adjustment and kd cable adjusted accordingly.

Under lighy throttle, around 2k rpms: 1-2nd is even more crisp and at 17ish mph. 2-3 has just an ever so slightly flare and happens around 26mph. WOT pull, well just a hair off of WOT, 1-2nd was very quick and crisp and 2-3rd was very quick and crisp, no flare up that I noticed...

2nd-3rd was also around 60-65ish mph (was more focused on whats in front of the car than the shift speed lol).

The WOT pull was done after driving a little to warm the car up. I also had to get some gas... because all this testing probably had me getting around 5 mpg :p

Disclaimer- No babies were harmed or in the car while doing WOT pull... :steering:

20201017_135615.jpg

20201017_135154.jpg

20201018_200735.jpg

I wouldn’t go to 1 turn out or was that finger tight or snug with a short wrench? Adjust the line pressure up. Kim

Just finger tight then a touch over 1 turn out.

Yep, line pressure is the next thing to tinker with.

The car didn't have the stock kd linkage, I totally agree that it would probably be the better set up.

Spooling? Turbo cars spool when they are building boost. Like spooling at the staging line, you hear the turbo spooling or building boost then when you let off the brake when boost has been built and the car takes off. A delayed shift describes it too, I feel the car wanting to shift but instead of slamming into gear it feels like the transmission is "spooling/or winding up" while the engine is revving as well. Then it catches the gear and hard shifts.

My apologies for using terminology that may have been confusing for some.

Not a problem, but I still don't know what spooling is regarding what a transmission is doing. I understand the turbo reference, though.

Not a problem, but I still don't know what spooling is regarding what a transmission is doing. I understand the turbo reference, though.

The transmission just sounded like and felt like it was spooling. Where the engine would rev up and transmission tc felt like it was spinning but it wasnt catching gear.

It inomuch better now for the most part though. :)

when you do the 1-2 shift at WOT it should break those back tires loose, just a little bit! :thumbsup:

The transmission just sounded like and felt like it was spooling. Where the engine would rev up and transmission tc felt like it was spinning but it wasnt catching gear.

It inomuch better now for the most part though. :)
And if u would of said it like this 150 posts ago it would of been fixed that much sooner. Kim

And if u would of said it like this 150 posts ago it would of been fixed that much sooner. Kim

Yet no one asked for clarification for most of those 150, LOL. Everyone figured it out but didn't bring up "flare" until like page 5..

-
Back