Legendary Member
Reaction score
Click Thumnails

How hard is a dash pad to recover?

th_100_2426-600.jpg
th_100_2426-600.jpg

th_100_2426-600.jpg
%20%20%20%20[/IMG]

well, i just sold one that was recovered in a leather type material, and it looked just like a new repro dashpad.. i think they peeled all the old vynal off of it. i would think that when you recover one, you would need to somehow fill in those cracks, to keep it smooth

Interested in following this thread as I have a 66 Dart pad I'd like to recover.

Do you know if they put new foam underneath the vinyl?

well, mine was for 67-76, so i do not know about your year specific.lol

this one, did not appear to have new foam. the leather was glued right to the original foam, and looked killer

well, mine was for 67-76, so i do not know about your year specific.lol

this one, did not appear to have new foam. the leather was glued right to the original foam, and looked killer

Ok Thanks Plot. There is some foam missing out of mine but it doesn't look too thick. I hope I can find the right grain for the vinyl, the foam should be easy.

got mine cover from herbs auto and it is glued in place it looks good to cold to install right now

I just stripped the foam and vinyl off of my 66 valiant pad. I has to sand it down with steel wool. In sections it is almost a mirror finish. Other parts I still have to work it.

I just stripped the foam and vinyl off of my 66 valiant pad. I has to sand it down with steel wool. In sections it is almost a mirror finish. Other parts I still have to work it.

Would you mind giving us a step by step write up?

I don't have step by step pics,but the last one I did was fairly simple !! I had a few different cracks (fairly big) that I just rough sanded the sharp edge down,duct taped over the crack a couple of times,then just glued the New Dash Cap over the old one !! I did put a little added weight evenly across the entire dash, and it turned out really well !! :supz:

Sounds like a couple people here are using the hard "cap" as I did, and some are talking about actually recovering with material. The cap is the simplest in my view. Any good upholster can do wonders with just about anything. JMO

Sounds like a couple people here are using the hard "cap" as I did, and some are talking about actually recovering with material. The cap is the simplest in my view. Any good upholster can do wonders with just about anything. JMO

Caps are ok. I just would rather recover mine if I can.

-
Back