Refinish/paint PVC seat backs

-
Wanting to know what is the best procedure to refinish/paint the PVC seat backs on a 1970 Dart Swinger?
Yup!

I have done this several times including recently on my 2001 Ram Pickup plastic interior parts.

Try this.

First, you need to thoroughly clean any parts you are painting and then use an adhesion promoter.

1711414326112.png

Then, get the color you want from here. This stuff is excellent!!

Car Interior Paint | Interior Automotive Paint | ColorBond

The main obstacle here is that the panels may have been previously repainted.

Now the procedure depends on the type of paint and the original finish on the seat backs. Grain or smooth.

scalecoat ii wash away paint remover - Bing Removing the paint would be a priority for me to get the best end results. There are several methods to remove the paint without damaging the plastic. Some home recipes use rubbing alcohol soaks and then vegetable oil to lift the paint. Or just buy one designed for what you are doing. This is not a miracle product. You have to follow the directions and scrub a dub dub. Using a brush to help remove the paint is helpful especially if the plastic is textured. But again you don't want the brush bristles to be too coarse and damage the plastic.

Last edited:
I did not catch it had been previously done!!! I agree, I would get it down to that oem plastic!!!!
As always prep is the key. I have had really good results with SEM with their prep product (is a must)/

image.jpg

Agree with stripping old paint first. When yo get that done if you decide to do SEM get this.
Step 1 is the soap: 39362
Step 2 is the prep: 38343
Step 3 is your favorite flavor of SEM color coat.

I have never used the SEM products but they have excellent reviews. Head to head even favors Sems to VHT in some cases. All other top end restorers are saying Dupont Vinyl dye applied with a Preval sprayer. Based on the reviews and members opinions I would definitely try the Sems on my next adventure into the unknown.

View attachment 1716227252

Agree with stripping old paint first. When yo get that done if you decide to do SEM get this.
Step 1 is the soap: 39362
Step 2 is the prep: 38343
Step 3 is your favorite flavor of SEM color coat.

I love this stuff on an original panel. Its pricy but works very well.

The key to a great finish is very clean panel and use all three of these products.

This product hates some types of paint though and will "fisheye" everywhere it contacts it.

I used SEM adhesion promoter and color coat on a console and kick panels and they came out perfect. Just make sure the plastic is very clean and do a bunch of light coats. If you try to go medium/heavy on your coats, you might wind up with some areas that look glossier than others. I did about 10 light coats and my stuff came out looking brand new.

-
Back