Remember when artists used to write their own music?

-

DaveBonds

Garage Trash
Reaction score
Watchin Wreck It Ralph with the kid, this evening. He hadn't seen it yet and has been playing my NES like crazy, now that he's old enough to handle the pad. Amy and I decided to set it up in front of him, since he'd recognize the characters. He seemed to like it.

I didn't catch it the first time in theatres, when we went, but it sounded extremely familiar;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imOU3KnMdLw"]Wreck-it Ralph: "Shut Up and Drive" - Official Disney Video - YouTube[/ame]

I'm not particularly interested in Rihanna or any other R&B Pop music, for that matter, but after hearing the first 30 seconds of that song, I think I have it figured out;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x9mfgUsIis"]New Order - Blue Monday '88 (Official Video) High Quality - YouTube[/ame]

What is with the recent trend of R&B pop stars recycling new wave?

"Original" video is sort of interesting.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up7pvPqNkuU"]Rihanna - Shut Up And Drive - YouTube[/ame]

Especially to anyone who knows anything about cars, unlike anyone who is in the vid.

Cars with windows painted over, people cutting cars apart stacked on each other... drag racing in dirt... It's a real winner, all around.

Alright DaveBonds, let's be honest. You bought the new Rihanna single and secretly love it but used a two part post to justify your inner Rihanna fan.

But seriously, I have a book called "How Music Works" and it touches on the science of chord progressions and their limited amount and re-usability. Listen @2:45 of the video is blatantly Afrika Boombada's "Planet Rock" .My wife likes Pop Radio and whenever I'm in her car I'm always bringing up how this sounds like that etc.. It drives her nuts.

As for the video, helllloooooo hot ladies, I barely noticed the cars.

Although I don't like her music, that is why I do like Taylor Swift as a musical artist. She writes all her own stuff. So many of them now don't. She has my respect for that.

Alright DaveBonds, let's be honest. You bought the new Rihanna single and secretly love it but used a two part post to justify your inner Rihanna fan.

SHHHH! Seabee, no!

They will love it! I promise! If you say that, they're gonna laugh at me! THEY'RE ALL GONNA LAUGH AT ME.

lol

Yeah, I've heard typical chord progression in a lot of songs. I almost dismissed it into the masses, until she started singing the same vocal chord progression, in front of the same instrument chord progression.

It's in a higher key, but it's the same song, jazzed up with typical R&B extra syllables that don't belong in words, extra notes, etc.

I've been hearing a lot of R&B artists jacking complete songs, lately. And I'm not even referring to people sampling, directly, like that Police guitar chord that was used in Puff Daddy's I'll Be Missing You. That was clearly homage paid, royalties paid.

If this gal hasn't spoken with Bernard Sumner from New Order/ Joy Division about it already, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens later, on cross terms.

2 words..........Buddy Holly :glasses7:

Yeah, he had a tune named after the same term. Not the same song, though.

I know of at least three different bands called Model Citizen. I have 6 songs on my computer, just called Jaded.

Your thread lead me to killer website www.whosampled.com .You are right, (good ear) Rhianna did sample Blue Monday, and as it turns out New Order's Blue Monday sampled Uranium by Kraftwork. http://www.whosampled.com/sample/view/3532/Rihanna-Shut Up and Drive_New Order-Blue Monday/

My brother just told me about that site, last night when I was over visiting him. Pretty funny how the chain links, full circle, even outside of the music world.

I knew about the single note vocal choir direct sample from Kraftwerk, but the vocal and instrument chord progressions were a direct pull from New Order. That song, Uranium, isn't much of a song at all. It's just an intro, if memory serves. Almost forgot about that, though!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePW52C5YBbA"]Kraftwerk - Uranium - YouTube[/ame]

Kraftwerk is responsible for a LOT of music. First electronic band, made their own solid state electronic key instruments.

Although I don't like her music, that is why I do like Taylor Swift as a musical artist. She writes all her own stuff. So many of them now don't. She has my respect for that.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I'm not into pop country, so I always take a hall pass, but I do have respect for her.

Remember when yound artists actually had tallent?

I don't I came long after zeppelin was dead.

Emotion ,channeled into good musicianship agreed. It's hard ,to pull off a good re-make. New Order,and Kraftwerk,laid down new ground(as well as Yaz,in that spectrum). This,coming from a guy,who grew up on Deep Purple,and Zeppelin. Lot of good material being written nowadays,but not showcased.

-
Back