Removing Entire Dash - 1983 Plymouth Scamp / Dodge Omni/Rampage

-

portnoy

Reaction score
Hello, just looking for some advice or tips about removing the entire dash board from my car.

Long story short, a small(ish) electrical fire happened inside the dash due to a shitty headlight/dimmer switch. A good deal of plastic/rubber/whatever melted all together and i've been chiseling it out. On the plus side, it appears the only wire clusters affected are for the heater/defroster and the headlight switch. everything else is hanging underneath the affected area.

Ideally, I'll take the entire dash from a donor with the same interior and replace it. wiring will obviously be very thoroughly gone over.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding mounting bolts or clips to remove my dash on the driver side, and it's possible I've removed enough screws but it's just melted and fused - and the rotary cutter comes in at this point.

Center console is taken out, radio is out, faulty light switch is out, heater/defroster control is still in (the metal pieces), and the cables and levers for that are working. Will replace the fan speed switch. It looks like the whole thing will come out in two large sections spanning the width of the interior. One on top and one facing the seats.

Any advice on removing these dash boards? Would love to go to the scrap yard with at least a little bit of knowledge. I am well prepared for it being a PITA, and welcome any tips.

------
There comes a point when a young man grieves the potential death of his first car. He denies it, he's angry and upset, he's sad and forlorn. Then he loses his mind and tries to Frankenstein it back to life with hand tools and electricity. I am at this latter, more interesting stage of mourning.

-
Back