Removing Tappets

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
This does not seem like it should be hard but I have tried to remove them from the inside of the engine by lifting and I could not remove them. I tried pushing them through unsuccessful also. How are tappets supposed to be removed?

Probably there is a buildup of hardened sludge forming a rim just above lifter’s highest travel on its bore. Just dissolve it with carburetor cleaner & rag, and they should lift right out. Or there is the same buildup on lower edge of lifter below its bore trapping it from extraction.

I am planning on replacing the lifters but keep the cam so could I just knock them out?

Sounds like you are gonna need to pull the cam. Had a bunch of slants with varnish in the lifter bores to the point the lifters wouldn't come out the top. They would push up a bit and then stick. If this sounds familiar here's what you do. Push the lifters as far up as they will go and then pull the cam. The lifters will push out the bottom fairly easily. Since you are planning to keep the cam, make sure you keep the lifters in the same order they came out so you can reuse them. Putting new lifters on an old cam is a good way to wipe a lobe and ruin an engine.

Well crap. I have the cam out and my initial idea was correct they free float in the block then. I guess a dowel and a hammer will fix my problem.

Gasoline will usually dissolve varnish so you can remove them from the top. You need to wiggle them back and forth until they slide free.

-
Back