Repairing damaged vinyl on a Duster door panel

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Has anyone found a good technique for repairing damaged vinyl on a door pad? I have a 74 Gold Duster with the deluxe interior trim package. That means that the gold / tan drivers door panel has a rectangular vertical woodgrain panel in it. They're very expensive to buy new, and they only come in pairs. I have a small torn, cracked and separated area at he bottom edge of the driver's door panel. Nothing major - I'd like to repair it myself. Any ideas as to how to do a decent repair? Heating it up? Gluing it? Whaddya think? Doesn't have to be perfect. Thanks.

IMG_1099.JPG

IMG_1100.JPG

I used this something like this on my truck driver seat where it started to split at a seam.
With it you basically glue a flexible patch to the backside and add filler material to blend voids/mismatch. Mix up some paint to match (lol).
It's kept the separation from continuing for me but it's high traffic and will need a redo at some point.
upload_2020-4-25_7-58-7.png

I would look at possibility of trimming about a 1/4 inch off the board and shape that to a rounded edge also. Looks like about 50% of the damage/repair would disappear rolled over a smaller board.

Try to find a used pair that you can paint; however, I don't know if you can find that color gold in a can. Or save up for that new pair. Legendary runs a sale in November(I think.)

-
Back