Repairing rear arm rests

-

plugger340

Reaction score
The sides of my rear arm rests have separated from the metal core and have pulled away. Is there anyway to glue them back to the metal core?
Thanks in advance.

IMG_7304.jpeg

Look up ABC moparts
They list them for $95 in black or white.
Owner's name is Bob, good guy easy to deal with. Usually goes to Carlisle and the Nat's so might be able to get free shipping if you attend.
Good luck

Look up ABC moparts
They list them for $95 in black or white.
Owner's name is Bob, good guy easy to deal with. Usually goes to Carlisle and the Nat's so might be able to get free shipping if you attend.
Good luck
Unfortunately I’m in Canada and it appears they won’t ship here. Maybe it’s because the order is be too small. I’d prefer to try to fix them for now.

I guess nothing gained nothing lost. Just try some rubber cement would be my suggestion. I had the same issue and went with new ones .

Unfortunately I’m in Canada and it appears they won’t ship here. Maybe it’s because the order is be too small. I’d prefer to try to fix them for now.
Fairly certain Rick Layson (www.laysons.com) has got them (AF-679ACPW in white, AF-679ACPB in black) as well. 108 USD and also fairly certain he'll ship to Canada.

Thanks, for now Ill try to fix them. Failing that I’ll order a new set.
Thanks
If you do find success in fixing them please document (take pictures) and post the steps for the rest of us, money saved is money that can be spent on another piece!!!

Here's how I would TRY to fix those. Remove the cover completely from the metal bases. CLEAN the inside of the vinyl THOROUGHLY. Same with the metal. I would use a wire brush on a grinder and get ALL that rust off. Then, I would paint the bases with something like a direct to metal paint. Rustoleum industrial oil based paint comes to mind. Finally, I would get 3M Yellow Weatherstrip adhesive and apply it to the insides of the covers. Slip the covers back over the bases and use several long, wide, heavy duty plastic zip ties and tie the cover on tight and let them dry for several days. They likely will never come loose again

What about 3m adhesive and wrapping really tight with glorified saran wrap?
Or instead of saran, use velcro to hold snug until adhesive dries?
Ha! Great minds think alike. But you know, so do stupid ones. LMAO!

Word of warning on the repo convert arm rest pads

The spring metal tabs are made of a brittle metal.

My first set when I pressed it into the slots one tab snapped off. (I can put the originals in and out all day long with no issues)

ABC sent me a new set and I was super careful putting it in. Snap.

I ended up making my own tabs and they stay in ok.

Oh and one more thing. Don't make the mistake and use the 3M black weatherstrip instead if you decide to go the route I described. It is nowhere near as strong and I've never seen it dry completely.

I tried to send a pm, but your box is full. I'm going to Carlisle AND to Moparfest and would be willing to talk to you about transporting new armrests from one to the other, if that helps...

-
Back