replacement shifter

-

onehellofadart

Reaction score
ok guys , i'm planning on replaceing my 727 column shifter, does'nt have reverse lock-out,(are they all like that?),
with a floor shifter. i'm thinking of going with a hurst quarter stick, a pistol grip quarter stick(with roll control button)
or a b&m pro stick , or b&m pro ratchet shifter. what are you guys useing and what are pros & cons of each?

tony

I've got a Hurst Quarter Stick in mine, reverse pattern (to work with my Cheetah valve body). I changed the knob to one with a button on it for the line lock.

I love it. It's easy to use, and takes loads of abuse. If you're going to be racing, you want a shifter that has a positive stop between gears. With the QS and the reverse pattern, I pull 1st to 2nd gear HARD (towards me, not away), then grab the trigger and pull hard again to go from 2nd to 3rd. There's no way to go from 1st to 3rd without pulling the trigger, and no way to go into reverse without pushing the lockout trigger.

When I started my car had a Hurst Pro-Matic. I liked the ratchet, and the fact that the shifter stayed in the same spot no matter what gear I was in, but it didn't work very well. And having to pull up on the shifter to get in/out of reverse sucked.

The B&M Quicksilver and the Hurst Pro-Matic are the same.
The B&M Magnum Grip Pro Stick is the same as the Hurst Pistol Grip Quarter Stick.
The B&M Pro Stick is the same as the Hurst Quarter Stick.

I'd love to have a Hurst Pistol Grip Quarter Stick, but I don't want to pay for it. :p

If money was no object, I'd get the Turbo Action Cheetah SCS. The nice thing about that one (besides the shifter itself) is the rear-exit cable - it comes out of the back of the shifter instead of the front.

MIKEL,
ARE YOU RUNNING A 727? ALSO THE PISTOL GRIP QUARTER STICK WORKS THE SAME AS QUARTER STICK? WHAT DID THE CHEETAH REVERSE VALVE BODY RUN YOU? THE CHEETAH VALVE BODY IS FULL MANNUAL? I DON'T SEE THEM IN MY JEGS CATALOG.
TONY

onehellofadart said:
MIKEL,
ARE YOU RUNNING A 727? ALSO THE PISTOL GRIP QUARTER STICK WORKS THE SAME AS QUARTER STICK? WHAT DID THE CHEETAH REVERSE VALVE BODY RUN YOU? THE CHEETAH VALVE BODY IS FULL MANNUAL? I DON'T SEE THEM IN MY JEGS CATALOG.
TONY
The pistol grip and the quarter stick are both the same just dif handles,my cheetah valve body is a full manual set up i love it,its one of the colest thing i hav in my car!i dont know if they make one that isnt full auto! :scratch:

onehellofadart said:
MIKEL,
TONY
Ow, my head! Stop yelling!

Yeah, I've got a 727. AFAIK, the Pistol Gril and the Quarter Stick are the same aside from the handle.

The Cheetah valve body (the one I have) is a full manual, reverse valve body. It was around $150, Mancini has it:
http://store.yahoo.com/chucker54/turboaction3.html

They also have a full manal forward valve body, if you're interested in that sort of thing. Jeg's and Summit should both have them as well, search for "Turbo Action".

Th eturbo action is nice but check out the Griner manual valve body. They have low band apply in 1st gear so they are safer.

That said I run a turbo action valve body myself and use a turbo action SCS shifter. Best on the market.

I also bought the Pro Stick and Quarter Stick at the same time to see which I liked better. They were about the same, the Pro Stick stayed in the car because it was put in last.

I don't know how everyone's low band apply works but if I shift mine from second or third to first while rolling the tranny locks up the rear tires. If this is normal it might be tricky and costly on the street. I have a reverse pattern with a T-brake.

MidTexCuda said:
I don't know how everyone's low band apply works but if I shift mine from second or third to first while rolling the tranny locks up the rear tires. If this is normal it might be tricky and costly on the street. I have a reverse pattern with a T-brake.
That is low band apply working. A reminder to only put it in 1st when stopped. :D

I have not had one. But the first time I had it I went (by mistake) from third to first at about 30 to 35 and if turned the car around. I thought I had killed the car. Thank god for a dusty closed road and no broken parts.

Built several race cars for guys and i like the b&m pro ratchet shifter. I use the electric shiftnoid and make it shift itself... Works nice!!!

i'm leaning towards the pistol grip quarter stick, though its a little short for my bench seat application, i think. prob gonna have to buy one and check out were its gonna sit. i have noticed that the ratchet shifters sit higher, and some have a slight pull back arc on the shifter.

-
Back