replacing a discontected heater

-

like_A_pike

that's not factory
Reaction score
First off this is a 68 barracuda and the dash has been "remodeled" at some point. The "fabricator" left three slots and that's it. The control unit is in a box. I have a manual but it only shows how the cables are conected at the heater box. I need to know how they connect to the control unit. The top sliding lever has two pins. As you slide it one cable must max out and the second takes over. What is that lever doing???? Whats the bottom one do? The fan switch has three positions. Can you tell me what they are from left to right. I assume left is off, middle is on, right is on and faster??? Finally, has anyone taken one of these apart and know where you can get the plastic pins, push stops, and cable retaining clips??? thanks

l_A_p

Assuming this is a non A/C car, the upper control works the heat/defrost cables. One cable opens and closes the heat door down by your feet, the other opens and closes the defroster vents. The lower slide control is the temp, which just moves the air door since coolant runs through the heater core all the time. The fan switch is: off, low, and high.....from left to right. Good luck on finding individual parts for the control. The plastic pins are the most common broken part. I may have a complete control assy if you find you need one.

Thanks Cudamark, no A/C is correct. can you tell me what the controls on the dash would say on that top slot. Like, does it indicate defrost on the left up to a point and then heat as you continue pushing it to the right?

Let me see if I can get what I've got to work. Only one side of a pin is broke off and I think I can jury rig the one cable clamp that's gone.

thanks again

It appears that the cable clamp for the defrost/heat door broke off at the box and the cable is long gone. Additionally, the female end on the blower side of the wire harness is gone or "modifiied". At this point I am interested in what folks may have kicking around in terms of controls with cables. or just especially that one cable to the defrost door and perhaps just the end of the blower wire harness.

Other than the little hole where that cable clamp broke off the box is in pretty good shape. The support rod seized up so it couldn't be tightened. (why the whole thing was just hanging by the blower motor) I got as far as cleaning it and starting the foam and gasket kit. I am thinking about a piece of sheet metal to remount that hanger (& patch the hole). Next, install new core and test that blower, maybe jury rig the wire harness. The resistor looks perfect.

-
Back