Replacing Exhaust manifold gasket

-

GilValiant65

Reaction score
Hello and thank you for your comments on my introduction. I am making progress but I am not able to post a picture yet.
I am replacing the exhaust manifold gasket and I am happy to say that nothing broke but the two exhaust pipe bolts were in bad shape, also the three long bolts to keep the two manifolds together are in bad shape. I need to source the five bolts. The studs look in good shape but I read that if I do not change them now, next time they will brake. I have only been able to find a set with the D washers, the studs and nuts included in Australia, www.hemiperformance product code H6EMSK, expensive shipping alternative. When I removed the top row I found two round washers in the middle and on the corners, I think the corner ones should have been D washers as well. I have not removed the studs so not sure of the length or thread, my last research is indicating that Dorman part# RNB675092 offered by Summit may be the one, 5/16-18in base thread, 5/16-24in top thread, length 1.150in, grade 8, zink plated, not sure if they are high tensile.......not sure if this is correct or not.
If someone knows a source in the USA, please share, if not, I waiting for the Australia follow up, they answered my email right away, gave me a case number and now I am waiting.
The gasket choices are Auto Zone $12.99 kit, one year warranty or Summit Racing Remflex 6008 for $39.95 + $9.95 shipping. I prefer to do this job right once.
I am still learning how to stay connected and get the replies on time, I will try to post a picture of my rusty Valiant soon. Thanks A Gil

Your round washers on the 2 ends and 1 in the middle are correct.I get studs for my slants at the local hardware store.Never had a problem. The AutoZone gasket is fine for a stock intake, carb, exhaust setup. Just a thought.

Remflex makes a great gasket, but they are thick enough that you may want slightly longer studs if those are used.

-
Back