Replacing spark plug wires

-

customduster73

Custom73
Reaction score
So I'm new to the engine maintenance. My cool wire was recently not attached properly and has burnt through the connector. So I'm trying to replace the whole set. Recently purchased new msd 2 coil and have no idea what size wires I should get. Msd says to use theirs and that is 8.5 mm for 318 la duster. Does the size matter in wire replacement? I'm stuck here and need help

So I'm new to the engine maintenance. My cool wire was recently not attached properly and has burnt through the connector. So I'm trying to replace the whole set. Recently purchased new msd 2 coil and have no idea what size wires I should get. Msd says to use theirs and that is 8.5 mm for 318 la duster. Does the size matter in wire replacement? I'm stuck here and need help

Yes, size matters....(LOL) but the 8.5mm should be just fine.

Jeff

Do you have any insight on if I should also get an msd distributor and replace the one that's currently on it? I'm at work so I couldn't even tell you what it is. I'm learning as I go really

image.png

Do you have any insight on if I should also get an msd distributor and replace the one that's currently on it? I'm at work so I couldn't even tell you what it is. I'm learning as I go really

View attachment 1714920265

If your current one works - I'd leave it. MSD isn't exactly cheap.
Also depends on what you're trying to accomplish.....?

Jeff

if it works, why replace it?

the one thing you need to look for is to make sure the wires you buy have the correct plugs on them (as in male or female)

If your current one works - I'd leave it. MSD isn't exactly cheap.
Also depends on what you're trying to accomplish.....?

Jeff

Not much just keep it running so I can start on the body and interior which I know how to do. Also I know u can't get too much out of a 318

you can get plenty out of a 318...provided you are willing to put something into it

but you are right, dollar for dollar, the 318 makes less power then its bigger siblings

Yeah. I have a buddy that builds drag motors and was gonna have him put together a 408 for me. But that'll be a while. Want to keep this one running so I can finish the bodywork and interior.

I'm running a 408 in my duster
its fun, but I'm guessing a 318 does a whole lot less havoc to the parts behind it ;)

But I do appreciate the learning experience though. Don't know much about motors. I'll post a picture of what it will look like when I'm done. I'm converting the front end to a 72 though. I like the straight across front better than the pointy 73

yes, but then again, with that 408 you would kill the rear end in days
then the transmission would go next month

and your down another 4 grand

and if your going through the front end anyway, you might as well slap on a demon front end

nah, I'm just trying to make you feel better
I think the 408 is about the best of both world, great power without the added nose weight of a bigblock

as for the rear end and transmission...if you make enough power they will need attention, doesn't matter what makes the power

and the demon front end will be harder to find then the duster front end, simply because of the lower production numbers

What would you recommend if not the 408? Go with 360 or bigger block? Or just change out the rear end and tranny to compensate power?
I say leave the teen in for a while. Build a rear end, preferably with 'future' gears in mind. Then spend the dough to build a solid transmission. Get done with all that and then you can drop some real power in the front without breaking everything. Plus, the gears and a solid trans will make it loads more fun, even with the 318...

nah, I'm just trying to make you feel better
I think the 408 is about the best of both world, great power without the added nose weight of a bigblock

as for the rear end and transmission...if you make enough power they will need attention, doesn't matter what makes the power

So what rear end is best for that 408 and tranny I'm guessing is the 727?

I say leave the teen in for a while. Build a rear end, preferably with 'future' gears in mind. Then spend the dough to build a solid transmission. Get done with all that and then you can drop some real power in the front without breaking everything. Plus, the gears and a solid trans will make it loads more fun, even with the 318...
excellent point

this is the way you "should" build a car
start at the end and replace things before they break (somehow didn't work that way with my car)

Ha just seen your name. Been calling my best friend Ben Dranking since school

rear end depends on what you can spend on it, and how much work you are willing to do
judging by the drawing of how you want the car to look, you don't mind getting your hands dirty
so I would suggest a ford 8.8 from an exploder or so

it will require some work, but probably at half the cost of a mopar 8 3/4

if you find someone who knows how to build a good transmission the 904 will hold up to a 408, if that is what you already have anyway
plus, there is about 25 less HP of parasitic drag on a 904 compared to a 727

-
Back