Replacing steering column on 66 Dart - questions

-

66DartConvert

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm replacing the steering column on my 66 Dart 270 Convertible and want to make sure I do it right. Looks to be a fairly simple job, but I've never done it before. A couple questions...
1. Should I lube anything while I'm at it and if so how/where?
2. There is a square-ish box near the end of the column that looks to be lube related. What is it and what is it lubing?
3. To center the steering wheel it looks like I need to slide the steering column onto the shaft of the steering gear in the proper position. Are there any other ways to center the steering wheel (I'm thinking not)?
Thanks!

There is a bearing under the steering wheel that could be lubed, you have to remove the 'wheel and horn parts to access it. The coupler at the steering box has light grease in it. You can find a kit which has the parts necessary to rebuild the coupler, found a kit on ebay. You must supply the grease. There is a master spline on the steering box input shaft, so you can't move it there to center your steering wheel. Centering the 'wheel is kinda a pain, because you have to get the front tires pointing straight ahead before you install the steering wheel. How's the alignment? Would be good to have that right before straightening the 'wheel.

It looks like both ends of the column have a master spline -- where steering wheel attaches and where end of shaft connects to steering box. Now I'm not sure how to center the steering wheel. I guess alignment is only way?

The box coupling has a small notch filed in line with the master spline inside. I like the get the mrks at the top before separating anything. The original grease in the box coupling is the kind with fibers in it. It should still be there. If the box coupling has loose motion and needs rebuilt, carefully remove its cover ( think bottle cap ) so it can be reused. Properly crimping the new cap included with the rebuild kit so it stays in place is waaaay too much trouble.
The steering wheel should land on center via its master spline. If it doesn't , it's easy enough to file away the master and place the wheel in any position. Good luck

Thanks for the info on the coupling. The coupling box is pretty tight which is why I didn't even realize what was in it (the coupling), so it appears to be in good shape. That's good news!

Yeah, if the coupler is tight and has a good rubber boot, leave it alone. As for centering the wheel, don't file or alter the master spline. All you have to do is turn one tie rod one way, and the other tie rod the same amount, the other way. Be very precise on turning the tie rods so you don't change your toe-in setting or you'll have to get the front end aligned. What are you replacing your column with? A different column? The automatic columns are '66 only you know.... If you are going to disassemble the column, do yourself a favor and get a new seal for the bottom of the tube. That's pretty much the first thing that needs to be installed when you reassemble.

Yeah...I'm replacing a 66 column with another 66 column -- automatic shift on the tree. And the new one has a seal...my old one was not sealed well. I know the 63 and 64 automatics were push-button -- I used to have a 63 valiant signet 200 convert automatic with push-button...and the front grill emblem looked a lot like your avatar picture (coincidence?). Thanks for the info on the tie rods.

Yeah...I'm replacing a 66 column with another 66 column -- automatic shift on the tree. And the new one has a seal...my old one was not sealed well. I know the 63 and 64 automatics were push-button -- I used to have a 63 valiant signet 200 convert automatic with push-button...and the front grill emblem looked a lot like your avatar picture (coincidence?). Thanks for the info on the tie rods.
My avatar is actually a '66 Barracuda grille emblem that only came on the real early production cars. I have one of the first built that year....maybe the earliest still around? Who knows? but in 30 years of looking, I haven't found one built before this one. Near as I can tell, the "V" emblem was superceded by the fish in early Oct '65 in both plants.

-
Back