Researching Magnums for abodies

-

JefftheComputerMan

Reaction score
IS this list correct or complete?

I would like to make a complete list of vehicles so I can expand my searches for this swap... THX!

I would like this to be a reference for those of us that have searched for "360 magnum", "5.9 Magnum", when the listing person may not know if it's a magnum and doesn't list it as such.

Just need a list of models that can be found by make / model....

1998 B1500
1998 B3500
98-03 DAKOTA
98-03 DURANGO
98-03 RAM 1500 TRUCK
99-03 RAM 1500 VAN
01-02 RAM 2500 TRUCK
98-99 RAM 2500 TRUCK
99-03 RAM 2500 VAN
98-02 RAM 3500 TRUCK
99-03 RAM 3500 VAN
1998 GRAND CHEROKEE *starter on passenger side * Trans swap required (NOT STRAIGHT SWAP)

Just throw in a reply and I'll try to update the list to be complete.

The jeeps (Grand Cherokee) have the starter on the passenger's side so I don't know if the engine would work with a stock a-body transmission. Maybe someone else can shed more light on this issue???

Treblig

The jeeps (Grand Cherokee) have the starter on the passenger's side so I don't know if the engine would work with a stock a-body transmission. Maybe someone else can shed more light on this issue???

Treblig

Nope, they won't.
Not unless you used the Jeep trans also, and then it would have to be a 2wd trans, different crossmember and driveline.

Nope, they won't.
Not unless you used the Jeep trans also, and then it would have to be a 2wd trans, different crossmember and driveline.

I guess JefftheComputerMan needs to put a caveat next to the GC on his list.

Treblig

might want to check with streetdak. I know he used a mag out of a 99 jeep grand Cherokee and used his 904 on his 74 dart.

might want to check with streetdak. I know he used a mag out of a 99 jeep grand Cherokee and used his 904 on his 74 dart.

That would be interesting to find out what the real world swap entailed.

I don't know how to add links, but the title of the thread is '' 5.9 fi magnum swap in 73 swinger '' I learned a lot of info from him on mine. I figured it would have been moved to this forum, but guess not. dave.

Dave, if you send a Mod a link to the thread, they can move it. IF it is a nicely complete thread of "How to swap in a Magnum engine into your A body" ask it to be a sticky.

I was about to attempt this on my '79 Magnum and said forget it! I'll just run the engine as is and add a carb and intake to it. It'll do for now.

thanks for the info rob, ya, the swap is pretty straight forward and is a lot easier than I thought it would be, BUT I had the complete running truck at my disposal. I wouldn't want to do with just an engine and harness. I cant begin to count all the little do-dads and gizmos I've had to use off the donor.lol.

the thread has a lot of good info for a swap. anyway you can make it a sticky on this forum?

Treblig

Nope, they won't.

I'm not absolutely certain, but I believe the difference is the BELL and not the engine

What I've read "over on the Jeep / 4x4" forums indicates the Mopar / Jeep blocks are the same

We are of course talking about MOPAR engines and not the older AMC V8

I'm not absolutely certain, but I believe the difference is the BELL and not the engine

What I've read "over on the Jeep / 4x4" forums indicates the Mopar / Jeep blocks are the same

We are of course talking about MOPAR engines and not the older AMC V8

I also think the engines are the same at least the 360 magnums because I'm currently using a 360 magnum GC passenger exhaust manifold (you know the one with the very large exit hole) on 69 318 Barracuda. Or at least the heads must be the same. I also think it's the bell housing that is different.

Treblig

-
Back