Restoring 1976(?) 4-speed shift knob

-

Chained_360

Delusional Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I'm working on putting an A833 overdrive into my '68 barracuda, and I'm in the middle of rebuilding the whole tranny right now. I was looking at the shift knob and comparing it new NOS pieces and other aftermarket replacements, and I decided that I actually really like the factory style knob. The issue is that the H-pattern indicator is pretty well worn. Here's what it's supposed to look like:
$_1.JPG

(Apologies for the poor quality -- I found this picture on eBay)

And here's what mind looks like:
20180109_150226.jpg
I'm familiar with some of the techniques used for painting raised surfaces, but I've never tried anything as small and precise as this. The H-pattern and the circle around it are raised, but each little ball in the H has the slightest indent for the gear number/letter. How should I go about restoring this knob? I can do just about any method, ranging from just standing and painting to even making a custom vinyl sticker to put on it instead. What do y'all think?

You can buy fine tip paint pens in any color @ Michael's or any hobby shop. I would paint the entire shift knob black, then use the paint pens for your various colors....

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Just lots of patience and tiny tools. I found out that I'll also be sanding the whole thing down anyways to remove some scuffs. I'll post pics of the process as I go in a new thread

-
Back