Restoring Door Panels glue? backer?

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
on my 66 dart, it had the original door panels. The cardboard had completely fallen apart. And the bottom section of the vinyl was torn and ruined. So my idea is to get 1/8in thick backer pressboard, and paint it (see bottom pic). Then reuse the upper section of the vinyl panel.
I was able to detach it from the old cardboard. And I made a pretty good cut . But how do I glue this old vinyl onto the new backboard? Or do i need to shave off all the hairy backing part?? The backing is real flakey and powdery. I dont want it to come off ever, and dont want it to loosen up. help??? see my pics.
Also I plan to come up with a creative trim piece at the bottom to cover up the clips.
door panel - 1 (1).jpg
door panel - 1.jpg

I have a 66 dart, get the reproduction panels....

What about 3M contact cement. I have a bottle of the 30NF fast drying green. Lets you work for 30 minutes before it is stuck.

I like the spray glue better for this application. 15 years later my 3m 77 sprayed panels are stuck!

Sounds good guys. I went and bought a spray can of the 77 for $10. I like that it says you can spray it on painted surfaces, specifically hardboard. I am going to try to shake out as much powdered backing that is on the old vinyl panels. Focus my spray on the old lines that pulled up the old backerboard, spray everywhere on the new pressboard panel, and try to get it all lined up. Hey just for fun I went ahead and sprayed chrome spray on that bottom piece of plastic trim on the panel. Since all of orig chrome had peeled off. Looks good. Anyone have ideas on where to find the thick plastic vapor barrier? I dont want to buy 100ft of it.

-
Back