reuse the old ring gear bolts??????

-

green67cuda

Reaction score
i was out puting the new 3.91 ring on the clutch suregrip, and the ring gear bolts wouldn't go in all the way. seems the new bolts are larger up around the shank than the holes. the bolts DO fit in the other suregrip (cone-type though).

so

do i clean and reuse the old bolts or break out the drill and run a 3/8 bit through the holes???

also, when i get the cone unit back together (one cone needed machining and shimming) and get it re-installed, what do they bring??
it's a 741 case :( with a 3.55 gear and cone-type suregrip

i've always heard not to re use the ring gear bolts. my clutch sure grip didnt have that problem. the new bolts didnt come with washers?

i got the yukon gear kit from Randy's r&p, and no, they didn't come with washers...the old bolts didn't have washers either, and neither did the ones on the cone sure grip

the new bolts fit fine in the other diff, which is why i had considered using a drill on the clutch diff, but don't know if that's a good idea.....

i had some arp bolts that came with washers, thats why i asked that one

if it were me i wouldnt drill any holes. i would feel more secure re torqueing the old bolts than drilling holes if i had to choose.

i've never heard of a problem like that though. i guess red loctite the bolts and torque them down.

-
Back