Reverse Y exhaust pipe for Dutra Duals?

-

timk225

Reaction score
I finally found a Duster I think I am going to get, and was making some plans for Slant 6 mods. One thing I thought of doing was using a set of these newer Dutra Duals, but with a single exhaust.

Does anyone make a Reverse Y pipe to get down under the car? Maybe 2-3 feet long. I'm sure the local exhaust shops couldn't handle something as specialized as this.

The 73 Duster, if I get it, has the usual 3 speed auto transmission column shifted linkage to work around.

Many years ago, from roughly 1996-2004, I had a set of the Clifford Performance street rod headers, and they were used on a few different Slants and a good 150,000+ miles. They always worked great, never leaked, etc.
I will use the standard Chrysler starter, got to have that sound! :)

I think a custom built pipe is the only answer. I’m sure an exhaust shop with some experience can help build you what you want. Have faith. Make them show you what they built BEFORE you pay.

TerrrrRearrrrrrRear. That’s a chrysler starter for ya!

I just had a friend make a custom wye for my 64 Valiant using a Flowmaster wye. Two 2" pipes off my headers, under the car to the transmission cross member and into the Flowmaster wye and into one 2.5" pipe connected to my 2.5" slant 6 TTI system. Worked out real nice.

I think a custom built pipe is the only answer. I’m sure an exhaust shop with some experience can help build you what you want. Have faith. Make them show you what they built BEFORE you pay.

That's what I did many years years ago. Clifford headers, twice pipes, 4bbl 4speed. Ran well sounded funny. If I was to do it again would have quite muffs

Yes flowmaster makes a good "Y" pipe called the scavenger series..once you get a visual image in your mind, head to the salvage yard and start looking at late model full sized pick-up trucks...

I have Hooker 6 into 2 headers. Had the pipes ran through Superior round mufflers. They look like glass packs. They are not straight through. It was fairly loud with a drone. I only drove it 1 or 2 days. Had a crossover H added. It really quieted it down.

Gill welding makes what you are looking for.
I built mine with the flowmaster y.
Lots of work to get it to the exhaust shop to finish the system.

Gill welding makes what you are looking for.
I built mine with the flowmaster y.
Lots of work to get it to the exhaust shop to finish the system.
They sure do! I had forgotten about that. They are super good guys, too.

I think a custom built pipe is the only answer.
Local hot rod shop made one for my 6 (Photo)
Yes flowmaster makes a good "Y" pipe
If I ever do another I'd buy this.

IMG_1934.jpg

I miss that sound. The Dakota mini-starter just doesn't have the impact of the original. =(

At least the exhaust lets the neighbors know it's time to wake up.

I used the Gill Welding one. Beautiful piece. Make sure you ask for the A body specific one. These were from right after install before I hooked it to the rest of the exhaust.

20240420_184558.jpg
20240420_184603.jpg
20240420_184607.jpg
20240420_184611.jpg
20240420_184627.jpg
20240420_184639.jpg
20240420_184648.jpg

Looks like they got rid of the slip fit on the back pipe and it is now welded? Looks like it fits really nice. I have a slant in my 64 D100 that i would love to upgrade the exhaust.

Looks like they got rid of the slip fit on the back pipe and it is now welded? Looks like it fits really nice. I have a slant in my 64 D100 that i would love to upgrade the exhaust.

I got the one with the dual slip fit first. I think I may have been either the first sold fat-pipe or at least the first one that was going in an A-body. The one with the dual slip fit was too tall and ended up interfering with the steering cross bar. I took a bunch of pics and measurements and the guys @ Gill worked up a revised unit specific to the A-body and swapped mine out for the newer model. I don't know if they just completely switched to the new model or if they are selling both the a-body one as well as the original design for D100, but give them a call or email. Super nice guys and helpful- have even called me a few times to check in on project.

Sounds great, will do. The double slip fit didn't make sense to me when i first saw the design, but I'm sure they had their reasons to do it that way. I have the hydraulic 4 speed bell housing with the low starter location so I'm sure things will be different.

-
Back