RIGHT OR LEFT BEARING GROWL........OPINIONS

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

NON-MOPAR........I've got a 1999 Toyota Camry and started hearing a light growl in the front while taking a swooping right curve on an off ramp. I can feel it slightly in my accelerator foot. I'm thinking Driver side wheel bearing, what do you think? Growl goes away when I take pressure off the steering wheel, and returns when I dig into the right curve again. Thanks FABO.

I would say driver’s side. I’ve had a bad passenger bearing that stopped growling during left turns. You should also be able to feel/hear it more on the drivers side.

Sounds like drivers side... Another test that works well, raise the front end on jack stands, start the car & put it in gear.... Lay your finger tips on the front coil spring... a bad bearing will transfer vibration to the spring & it's very apparent...

Hi Folks

NON-MOPAR........I've got a 1999 Toyota Camry and started hearing a light growl in the front while taking a swooping right curve on an off ramp. I can feel it slightly in my accelerator foot. I'm thinking Driver side wheel bearing, what do you think? Growl goes away when I take pressure off the steering wheel, and returns when I dig into the right curve again. Thanks FABO.
Typically, if a hub assembly like that makes noise on a turn to the right, it’s the left bearing and vice versa. The reasoning is that you’re “loading” the bearings with the weight of the car being transferred to the outside of the turn. I have seen a few that did not adhere to this but they’re few and far between in my experience.

Typically, if a hub assembly like that makes noise on a turn to the right, it’s the left bearing and vice versa. The reasoning is that you’re “loading” the bearings with the weight of the car being transferred to the outside of the turn. I have seen a few that did not adhere to this but they’re few and far between in my experience.
Exactly. I have replaced hundreds of wheel bearings, the test i do is drive like im on a slalom course.

Agree with the above- but if one's gone, just replace 'em both- the other won't be far behind. You've already got all the tools out and you're on a roll. Just plain aggravating to have the other one start to act up next month when you just had it all apart a month ago.

Lift it up.. grab top and bottom of wheel.. I guarantee it will rock...

Don't miss that it could also be the rear!!

Doing my Daughter 's Mazda CX-3...
20231215_113134.jpg

20231215_121056.jpg

20231215_122555.jpg

20231215_124608.jpg

Thanks Everyone

I'll do both sides while I am at it, and check the rears as well. I was going to be bored this weekend anyway........Actually, you've gotta' love a car that gives you a fair warning before it leaves you stranded! :thumbsup:

Oh my....I'm guessing that you weren't the principle driver with that one.
I replaced one,other one was noisy as well, customer was happy she could hear the radio. Was a miracle when i got second one done. Had another customer that thought the transmission was going out, sounded like engine was revving too high.

My son had noisy tires, wheel bearing was so bad when it failed the rotor hat cracked. I have 2 new bearings for the wife’s car. Needs only one right now. No rush as its not bothering me. Mostly because i dont drive it…

when I test drove bearing noise cars, Id hard steer either direction listening for the noise to change whichever direction I heard the noise it was coming from the side with the most weight planted on for example turn right it was the left side and vice versa because the car weight is planted on the opposite side of the direction turned.it works the same way on the rear also.

Lift it up.. grab top and bottom of wheel.. I guarantee it will rock...

Don't miss that it could also be the rear!!

Doing my Daughter 's Mazda CX-3...
View attachment 1716217697

View attachment 1716217698

View attachment 1716217699

View attachment 1716217700
Your guarantee was correct. Pass side is tight, but I'll do that one as well. These Toyota ones are pressed in units, so I bought 2 Timkin bearing and hub kits. Unbelievable.........They were 1/2 price at Rock Auto even after shipping was calculated in. Normally I'd bite the bullet to get the stuff right away, but it was a couple of hundred bucks so I'll wait a week.

-
Back