Ring and pinion contact pattern

-

sbh126

Reaction score
I think I finally have my new ring and pinion ready for duty. But before I get it all back together I'd like to hear from somebody who knows what they're talking about. How tight do the carrier bearings need to be? The back lash is set at .03. The BL written on the ring gear was .01 (seems kinda low) and the instructions say I can go over up to .04. So am I correct in thinking that I have it set right? Also here is a pic of my contact pattern. Does it look about right? If not which way does it need to be adjusted? Any help is appreciated.

DSC00718.jpg

DSC00720.jpg

No. Pinion it too deep. You need to remove a little shim from behind the large pinion bearing. It's close... Backlash should be .008-.012". No more. I think by removing .003" of shim you will get the pattern right and lose a bunch of backlash. I've never seen a manufacturer who said .040's fine.

Yeah Mopers right it is a little too deep. And you've got to be kidding they said .040 backlash is acceptable. That's ridiculous! What brand are they?

Ya that was my bad I did leave out a 0. I decided instead of doing this myself, having it not work, and having to pull it apart agian I'd just take it to a shop and have it rebuilt. Problem is now that I have it back in and the axles are in I noticed how tight it is. It'll still spin but not without effort. More so than before. Is this something that'll loosen up after a few miles? I'd hate to ruin my brand new gear set.

The only bearing I replaced was the one that is seated on the pinion. Not sure if this applies.

You mean it's real hard to turn with the driveshaft disconnected and brake drums off? If so it sounds like they got the bearing pre-load too tight and that will burn up the bearings real fast. But first make sure you have the axle adjuster set properly if you are still running stock bearings.

How much effort does it take? Do you have a dial type inch lb. torque wrench to test it with? If so test the turning torque and tell us how much it is. It should take no more than 75 inch lbs. to turn it.

No drive shaft or brakes. The axles aren't bolted in yet just sitting in place. I'll tell you the rotating torque in the morning. But I'm pretty sure its gunna be above 75 in lb

Its 150 in lb. Looks like I'll be pulling it out again this weekend. When I do I'll take a picture of the contact pattern and post it. I hope they at least got that right. It seems like everytime you pay someone to do something it never turns out right.:angry7:

Its 150 in lb. Looks like I'll be pulling it out again this weekend. When I do I'll take a picture of the contact pattern and post it. I hope they at least got that right. It seems like everytime you pay someone to do something it never turns out right.:angry7:

That's pretty darn tight. I know what you mean about not getting what you paid for. Last year my father-in-law bought a 64 Rambler someone had put a Ford 8.8" rear in with 4.10 gears. He just wants to cruise it so I found a set of 3.08 gears and had a local guy that came highly recommended by numerous people to install them. After we got it back we had it on a lift to rebuild the rear brakes and I noticed you couldn't turn it by hand at all. So to rule out the trans I unbolted the driveshaft and same thing. He had the pinion bearing preload so tight it was unbelievable. My buddy who is very strong could barely turn the yoke by hand with the driveshaft and brake drums off. I called him to tell him about it and he made every stupid excuse you can imagine. Even trying to say it was because it was a posi rear and that's the way they are for which I told him there's no way that can do it and he's an idiot. Of course the conversation ended there so now I need to take it apart and do it right. Something we paid to have done so I wouldn't have to mess with since I'm having back problems.:angry7:

I've got the pumpkin back out and am ready to take it back to the shop. But before I do how does this contact pattern look?

DSC00730.jpg

DSC00733.jpg

-
Back